Dr. Tyler DeWitt is a research scientist, high school teacher, and digital content author. He is the creator of an online #FOAMed YouTube education channel on science topics, and STEM education.
Tyler holds a Ph.D. in Microbiology from MIT, where he served as student coordinator for the new MIT+K12 video outreach project. He has taught high school Chemistry, Biology, and English at schools in both the United States and South Korea.
Chemistry for Basic science:
- Phases of Matter – Phase Changes; Liquid to gas; Boiling, Evaporation, Dissolving and Distillation
- Structure of the Atom – Inside the Atom; Historical Timeline of the atom; The Neutron; The Electron and the Cathode Ray Tube experiment; Electron Charge and the Neutron Millikan Oil Drop Experiment; The Nucleus and Rutherford’s Gold Foil Experiment.
- Atomic Basics – Atoms and Molecules; What is an Ion?; What are Isotopes?; Atomic Number, Mass Number and Net Charge; Diatomic Elements and Polyatomic ions.
- Atomic Mass – Weighted Average; Mass Number; Atomic Weight; Isotope Abundance and Practice problems.
- Moles and Molar Mass – Moles; Counting Atoms; Converting Grams and Moles; Mass of a Single Atom or Molecule; Molar Mass and Practice problems.
- Molality, Molarity and Solutions – What Happens when Stuff Dissolves?; Molarity versus Molality; and Practice problems.
- Chemical Bonding – Ionic Bonds; Molecular Bonds; Hydrogen Bonds; Polyatomic Ion bonds and Valence Electrons.
- Chemical Formulas – Ionic Formulas; Polyatomic Ions; Transition Metals; Covalent Molecular Compounds; Naming Acids and Practice Problems.
- Chemical Equations – Empirical Formula; Molecular Formula; Balancing Chemical Equations and Practice Problems.
- Chemical Reactions – Types of Chemical Reactions; Acid and Alkali Magic trick and Practice Problems.
- Stoichiometry – Mole ratios; Limiting Reactant; Limiting Reagent; Excess Reactant with basic and advanced practice problems.
- Oxidation Reduction (Redox) Reactions – Oxidation Numbers; Balancing Redox Equations in Acid and Alkali Solutions with Practice Problems.
- Gases and Gas Laws I – Atmospheric Pressure ; Gas Pressure; Kelvin Temperature; Absolute Zero; Kinetic Molecular Theory
- Gases and Gas Laws II – Boyle’s Law; Charles Law; Gay Lussac’s Law; Ideal Gas Law; Avogadro’s Law; basic and advanced practice problems.
- Molecular Structure and the VSEPR Theory – Common Mistakes; the Trigonal Bipyramidal Family; the Octahedral Family with basic and advanced Practice Problems.
- Thermochemistry – Enthalpy; Exothermic reactions; Endothermic reactions; Food Calorimetry and Practice Problems.
- Electrochemistry – Galvanic Cells; Voltaic Cells; Electroplating; Electrolysis and Practice Problems.
- Nuclear Chemistry – Alpha Decay; Beta Decay; Positron Decay; Electron Capture; Nuclear Transmutation; Isotope notation; Nuclear Fission and Nuclear Half Life.
Maths for Basic science:
- Unit Conversion – Conversion factors; Converting metric units of volume; Converting area and volume and managing multiple conversion factors.
- Scientific Notation – Addition and Subtraction; Multiplication and Division; Fixing Incorrect Scientific Notation; Accuracy and Precision; Error and Percent Error; and Practice problems.
- Significant Figures – Significant Zero; Addition and Subtraction; Multiplication and Division; and Practice problems.
- Density – Archimedes and the Gold Crown; Basic and Advanced Practice Problems.
Ted Talk: Hey Science teachers – make it fun…