Penile Mondor’s disease (PMD) is an isolated superficial thrombophlebitis of the superficial dorsal vein of the penis. The exact pathophysiology is unknown, however it is frequently associated with prolonged or vigorous sexual intercourse.
Patients usually present with a palpable chord like lesion, which is always on the dorsum of the penis, arising 24-48 hours following vigorous or prolonged sexual intercourse.
The disease is usually self-limiting and resolves with anti-inflammatory medications.
1939 – Henri Mondor (1885-1962) first described thrombophlebitis of the veins of the anterior chest wall
1955 – Braun-Falco described dorsal phlebitis of the penis within the context of generalised phlebitis
1958 – Helm and Hodge first reported a case of an isolated superficial thrombophlebitis of the dorsal vein of the penis and the condition was subsequently defined as penile Mondor’s disease (PMD)
- Henri Mondor (1885-1962)
- penile Mondor’s disease (PMD)
- Mondor’s Disease of the Penis; Mondor’s phlebitis of penis
- non-venereal sclerosing lymphangitis (archaic misnomer)
- Braun-Falco O. Zur Klinik, Histologie und Pathogenese der strangförmigen, oberflächlichen Phlebitiden. Dermatologische Wochenschrift 1955; 132: 705-715
- Helm JD Jr, Hodge IG. Thrombophlebitis of a dorsal vein of the penis; report of a case treated by phenylbutazone (butazolidin). J Urol. 1958 Feb;79(2):306-7.
- Boulle S, Civatte J, Maillard P. Cordon induré non vénérien du prépuce. Bulletin de la Société française de dermatologie et de syphiligraphie, 1963; 70: 379-383
Eponymous term review
- Findlay GH, Whiting DA. Mondor’s phlebitis of the penis. A condition miscalled ‘non-venereal sclerosing lymphangitis’. Clin Exp Dermatol. 1977 Mar;2(1):65-7.
- Kumar B, Narang T, Radotra BD, Gupta S. Mondor’s disease of penis: a forgotten disease. Sex Transm Infect. 2005 Dec;81(6):480-2.
- Al-Mwalad M, Loertzer H, Wicht A, Fornara P. Subcutaneous penile vein thrombosis (Penile Mondor’s Disease): pathogenesis, diagnosis, and therapy. Urology. 2006 Mar;67(3):586-8.
- Han HY, Chung DJ, Kim KW, Hwang CM. Pulsed and color Doppler sonographic findings of penile Mondor’s disease. Korean J Radiol. 2008 Mar-Apr;9(2):179-81.
- Nazir SS, Khan M. Thrombosis of the dorsal vein of the penis (Mondor’s Disease): A case report and review of the literature. Indian J Urol. 2010 Jul;26(3):431-3.
- Hamilton J, Mossanen M, Strote J. Mondor’s Disease of the Penis. West J Emerg Med. 2013 Mar;14(2):180.
- Mukendi AM, Mahlobo F. Penile Mondor’s disease: Clinical and sonographic images. Clin Case Rep. 2019 Oct 7;7(11):2283-2284.
- Simpson R, Haq A. Penile Mondor’s disease. Urology news 2019; 23(2)
the names behind the name
Emergency medicine RMO at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital with a keen interest in cardiorespiratory medicine, intensive care and anaesthetics. MBBS, GKT School of medicine. BSc in Biomedical engineering and material science, Barts & The London.
Associate Professor Curtin Medical School, Curtin University. Emergency physician MA (Oxon) MBChB (Edin) FACEM FFSEM Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. Passion for rugby; medical history; medical education; and asynchronous learning #FOAMed evangelist. Co-founder and CTO of Life in the Fast lane | Eponyms | Books | Twitter |