Ethylene Glycol is lethal when >1 ml/kg is ingested therefore any deliberate ingestion need prompt intervention. Commonly found in radiator coolants, antifreeze (concentrations>20%), de-icing solutions, solvents and brake fluids. Unfortunately these products can taste sweet making them appealing to children.
OVERVIEW >1 mL/kg or a mouthful in a child is potentially lethal ethylene glycol itself is relatively non-toxic -> metabolites extremely toxic (glycolate) rate limiting step = alcohol dehydrogenase activity accumulation of glycolate -> direct cellular toxicity CLINICAL FEATURES drunk:…
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.