Walter Putnam Blount (1900 – 1992) American Orthopedic Surgeon.
Extensive work on Erlacher-Blount syndrome, also known as Tibia Vara. One of the first surgeons to recognize fractures in children as a possible symptom of abuse.
Pioneer in the development of the Milwaukee Brace for treatment of scoliosis. Designed the Blount Staple used in treatment of unequal leg length as an alternative to osteotomy
- Born July 3, 1900 Illinois
- Died May 16, 1992
- Blount disease (or Erlacher-Blount syndrome) – osteochondrosis deformans tibiae or infantile tibia vara
- Blount staple
Key Medical Attributions
- 1922 – Erlacher documented the first case of progressive deformity of the upper end of the tibia as “tibia vara”.
- 1937 – Blount reported 13 cases and reviewed all of the 15 cases that were reported in the literature to date. Blount suggested the term ‘osteochondrosis deformans tibiae’. However, the eponym drawn from his name still remains in most common use.
- 1966 – Blount retained interest in the disease and wrote a significant review on the topic.
- Blount WP. Tibia vara. Osteochondrosis Deformans Tibiae. J Bone Joint Surg 1937;19:1-29
- Blount WP. Tibia vara. Osteochondrosis Deformans Tibiae. Curr Pract Orthop Surg. 1966;3:141-56.[PMID 5970354]
- Blount WP. Clarke GR. Control of bone growth by epiphyseal stapling; a preliminary report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1949 Jul;31A(3):464-78. [PMID 18153890]
- DR. WALTER P. BLOUNT [Full Text]
- Mostofi SB. Who’s Who in Orthopedics. Springer; pp29. 2005 edition
- Erlacher P. Deformierende Prozesse der Epiphysengegend bei Kindern In: Archiv für Orthopadische und Unfall-Surgery, 1922, Vol. 20, pp. 81-96 [German Text]
- Bathfield CA, Beighton PH. Blount disease. A review of etiological factors in 110 patients. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1978 Sep;(135):29-33.[Full Text]
- Oyemade GAA. Advanced Tibia Vara (Blount Disease) in Adolescent Nigerians. J Natl Med Assoc. 1981 Apr; 73(4): 339–344. [PMC2552650]
the person behind the name