Barbara Mary Ansell (1923 – 2001) was an English paediatric rheumatologist
Referred to as the founder of paediatric rheumatology; a pioneer in the development of paediatric rheumatology as a recognised sub-specialty in the UK. Expert in defining different forms of idiopathic arthritis of childhood, and improving their management.
- Born 30 August 1923 in Warwick, England
- 1946 – MB BS, Birmingham University medical school
- 1984 – Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons
- 1997 – James Spence Medal – for outstanding contributions to the advancement or clarification of paediatric knowledge.
- Died 14 September 2001
Ansell-Bywaters-Elderking syndrome (1975)
Familial arthropathy with rash, uveitis and mental retardation.
- Ansell BM. Population studies and genetics. 1969
- Ansell BM, Bywaters EG, Elderkin FM. Familial arthropathy with rash, uveitis and mental retardation. Proc R Soc Med. 1975;68(9):584-585.
- Ansell BM. Rheumatism and the psyche, VIIIth European Rheumatology Congress, Helsinki, 1975
- Ansell BM. Rheumatic disorders in childhood. 1976
- Ansell BM. Inflammatory disorders of muscle. 1976 [6 editions published between 1976 and 1984]
- Ansell BM, Arden GP. Surgical management of juvenile chronic polyarthritis. 1978
- Ansell BM. Uncommon radiological features of chronic arthritis in childhood: a review. J R Soc Med. 1981;74(12):904-908
- Ansell BM, Simkin PA. The Heart and rheumatic disease. 1984
- Prieur AM, Griscelli C, Lampert F, Ansell BM. A chronic, infantile, neurological, cutaneous and articular (CINCA) syndrome. A specific entity analysed in 30 patients. Scand J Rheumatol Suppl. 1987;66:57-68.
- Brueton LA, Sanderson IR, Jadresic L, Harper JI, Savage MO, Ansell BM. An infant with chronic articular and cutaneous manifestations: a new syndrome?. J R Soc Med. 1989;82(4):223-225.
- Ansell BM. Color atlas of pediatric rheumatology. 1992 [17 editions published between 1991 and 1995]
- James Spence Medallist 1997: Dr Barbara Mary Ansell. Archives of Disease in Childhood 1997; 77: 279–280
- Hull R, Venning H. Dr Barbara Mary Ansell, CBE, FRCP, FRCS, FRCPCH. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2003; 88: 185.
- Woo P, Wulffraat NM, Tyndall A. Barbara Ansell: a person ahead of her time. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2019; 78: 725-728.
- Biography: Barbara Mary Ansell. Lives of the Fellows of the Royal College of Physicians of London. Munk’s Roll: Volume XI: 23
- Biography: Ansell, Barbara Mary (1923 – 2001). Plarr’s Lives of the Fellows Online. Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- Bibliography. Ansell, Barbara M.. WorldCat Identities
the person behind the name