Fritz Valdemar Rasmussen (1837-1877) was a Danish physician.
Rasmussen was educated in the pathological anatomy close of clinical medicine. His special interest was the chest and he founded a medico-pneumatic department with a clinic for breast diseases in the Kommunehospitalet, Copenhagen.
Rasmussen recorded cases of massive haemoptysis secondary to pulmonary artery aneurysm in association with tuberculosis – eponymously termed the Rasmussen aneurysm
- Born 28 August 1837 Århus, Jutland
- 1860 – MD, Copenhagen
- 1861 – Studied anatomy in Berlin under Virchow
- 1862 – Physician training Kommunehospitalet and prosector in the pathological-anatomical museum
- 1863 – Physician at Almindelig Hospital, Copenhagen
- 1864 – Chief physician, military hospital in the castle of Frederiksborg (war with Germany over Schleswig-Holstein)
- 1866 – Doctoral thesis; Ueber die Entwicklungsverhältnisse der Echinococcen beim Menschen
- 1866 – Co-editor of the Hospitals-Tidende Journal
- 1868-1874 Privatdocent of pathological anatomy, University of Copenhagen
- 1870-1875 Led a ‘mixed’ medical-surgical department at the Kommunehospitalet
- 1874 – Chair of pathological anatomy and general pathology, University of Copenhagen
- Died 22 February 1877
- Rasmussen aneurysm (1868) pulmonary artery aneurysm adjacent to, or within a tuberculous cavity. Uncommon and potentially lethal (secondary to massive haemoptysis) complication of pulmonary tuberculosis
- Rasmussen V. Om haemoptyse, navnlig den lethale, i anatomisk og klinisk Henseende. Hospitals-Tidende. 1868; 11(9-13): 33-36, 37-43, 45-46, 49-52.
- Rasmussen V. On Hæmoptysis, especially when fatal, in its anatomical and clinical aspects. Edinburgh Medical Journal. 1868;14: 385-401, 486-503.
- Rasmussen V. Continued Observations on Hæmoptysis. Edinburgh Medical Journal. 1869;15: 97-104, 228-236
- Bricka CF. Rasmussen, Frits Valdemar (1833-1877). Dansk biografisk Lexikon p506-507
- Chatterjee K, Colaco B, Colaco C, Hellman M, Meena N. Rasmussen’s aneurysm: A forgotten scourge. Respir Med Case Rep. 2015 Aug 12;16:74-6 [PMC4681976]
- Sapra R, Sharma G, Minz AK. Rasmussen’s aneurysm: A rare and forgotten cause of hemoptysis. Indian Heart J. 2015 Dec;67 Suppl 3:S53-6. [PMC4798981]
- Portrait: Rasmussen, Fritz Valdemar Det Kongelige Bibliotek – The Royal Library
the person behind the name