Ernst Julius Richard Ewald (1855 – 1921) was a German physiologist.
- Born 14 February 1855 in Berlin
- Died 22 July 1921
- A stimulation of the semicircular canal causes a movement of the eyes in the plane of the stimulated canal
- In the horizontal semicircular canals, an ampullopetal endolymph movement cases a greater stimulation than an ampullofugal one.
- In the vertical semicircular canals, the reverse is true.
Key Medical Contributions
- Jongkees LB. J. R. Ewald. Arch Otolaryngol. 1966;83(6):615-619.
- Hain TC. Ewald JR. Dizziness and Balance 2020
- Hallpike CS. On the case for repeal of Ewald’s second Law. Some introductory remarks. Acta Otolaryngol Suppl. 1961; 159: 7-14.
the person behind the name
Associate Professor Curtin Medical School, Curtin University. Emergency physician MA (Oxon) MBChB (Edin) FACEM FFSEM Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. Passion for rugby; medical history; medical education; and asynchronous learning #FOAMed evangelist. Co-founder and CTO of Life in the Fast lane | Eponyms | Books | Twitter |