John A Durkan is an American Orthopedic Surgeon.
Dr Durkan specialist in orthopedic and sports medicine. He has held roles as the assistant team physician for the San Francisco 49ers and the U.S. Snowboarding team (including serving at the 1988 Nagano Olympics)
Eponymously affiliated with Durkan’s test in carpal tunnel syndrome (1991)
- 1979 – MD, Boston University School of Medicine
- Residency – Kaiser Foundation Hospital
- Orthopaedic residency: St Mary’s Hospital and Medical Center
- 1988 – American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 1998 – Nagano Winter Olympics physician US snowboarding team
- Orthopedic practice at Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital Hood River, Oregon USA
- Durkan’s test – variation of Hoffman-Tinel sign with improved diagnostic accuracy in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Durkan JA. A new diagnostic test for carpal tunnel syndrome. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1991 Apr;73(4):535-8. [PMID 1796937]
- Durkan JA, Wynne GF, Haggerty JF. Extraarticular reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament insufficient knee. A long-term analysis of the Ellison procedure. Am J Sports Med. 1989 Jan-Feb;17(1):112-7. [PMID 2929826]
- Durkan JA. The carpal-compression test. An instrumented device for diagnosing carpal tunnel syndrome. Orthop Rev. 1994 Jun;23(6):522-5. [PMID 8065809]
the person behind the name
BA MA (Oxon) MBChB (Edin) FACEM FFSEM. Associate Professor Curtin Medical School, Curtin University. Emergency physician, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. Passion for rugby; medical history; medical education; and asynchronous learning #FOAMed evangelist. Co-founder and CTO of Life in the Fast lane | Eponyms | Books | Twitter |