Joseph Schatzker (1934 – ) Canadian Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Eponymously associated with the Schatzker classification for tibial plateau fractures. Published classification system for tibial plateau fractures in 1979.
He is known internationally for his skills in Orthopaedic fracture and trauma care, and still works as an Orthopaedic Surgeon today
- Born 8 September 1934
- 1960 – MD University of Toronto
- 1962 – B.Sc.(Medicine), University of Toronto
- 1966 – Fellow Royal College of Surgeons of Canada F.R.C.S.(C)
- 1967 – Duncan Fellow to Professor Dewar University of Toronto
- 1968 – McLaughlin Fellowship in Europe (Sweden and Switzerland)
- 1969 – Orthopaedic Surgeon at the University of Toronto
- 1971 – Member of the AO
- 1985 – Began work at Sunnybrook Hospital, the largest trauma centre in Canada
- 1998 – President AO/ASIF Foundation
- Professor Emeritus of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Toronto
- 2007 – Member of the Order of Canada
- 2018 – Currently he resides as the Director of the Mueller Institute in Sunnybrook, Toronto, Canada, and still operates as an Orthopaedic Surgeon today
- Schatzker classification of tibial plateau fractures (1979)
Key Medical Attributions
- 28 visiting Professorships including China and Australia
- Dubbed ‘Mr. AO‘ for his involvement in the development of the current methods of fracture fixation
- Special interests in Arthoplasty, Spine surgery and Trauma.
- Helped translate the AO Swiss internal fixation technique for management of fractures into text to be distributed to English speaking Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Editorial review board JBJS and Journal of Orthoapedic and Trauma Surgery
- Schatzker J, McBroom R, Bruce D. The tibial plateau fracture. The Toronto experience 1968 – 1975. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1979 Jan-Feb;(138):94-104. [PMID 445923]
- Schatzker J. The Intertrochanteric Osteotomy. Springer. 1984
- Müller ME, Nazarian S, Koch P, Schatzker J. The Comprehensive Classification of Fractures of Long Bones. Springer 1990
- Schatzker J, Tile M. The Rationale of Operative Fracture Care. Springer 1993
- Castiglia MT, Nogueira-Barbosa MH, Messias AMV, Salim R, Fogagnolo F, Schatzker J, Kfuri M. The Impact of Computed Tomography on Decision Making in Tibial Plateau Fractures. J Knee Surg. 2018 Feb 14. [PMID 29444540]
- Markhardt B, Gross J, Monu J. Schatzker Classification of Tibial Plateau Fractures: Use of CT and MR Imaging Improves Assessment. Radiographics. 2009;29 (2): 585-597.
- Zeltser D, Leopold S. Classifications in Brief: Schatzker Classification of Tibial Plateau Fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013; 471(2):371-374. [PMC3549155]
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Health Care Team Webpage. Dr. Joseph Schatzker, Orthopaedic Surgery. 2018. [Accessed 18 February 2018]
- Joseph Schatzker Curriculum Vitae. Online webpage [Accessed 18 February 2018]
the names behind the name