Katharine Krom Merritt (1886 – 1986) was an American pediatrician.
- Born 9 January 1886 Stamford, Connecticut
- 1908 – AB, Vassar College
- 1917 – MD, John Hopkins Medical school
- 1918 – Pediatric internship at St. Louis Children’s Hospital as one of the first female interns at the hospital. Despite having received her degree from medical degrees from Johns Hopkins, Merritt had to find an alternative location for internship as they did not allow female interns at that time.
- 1920-1933 private practice in Manhattan
- 1929 – Associate in Diseases of Children Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- 1946 – Assistant Professor of Pediatrics Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Associate attending pediatrician at Babies Hospital of the Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center
- Attending pediatrician at the Vanderbilt Clinic.
- Co-founder of the Stamford branch of the Family and Children’s Service with her sister, Louise Dalton
- Died 5 August 1986
Kasabach–Merritt syndrome (1940)
Katharine Krom Merritt (1886–1986) and Haig Haigouni Kasabach (1898–1943) reported a case of thrombopenic purpura associated with benign hemangioma in an infant seen at the Columbia University Babies Hospital in 1940
Kasabach-Merritt syndrome is believed to result from platelet trapping within the tumour, which in turn leads to intralesional bleeding and hemangioma enlargement
Thrombopenic purpura associated with benign hemangioma is rare. In fact, we have not been able to find a record of a combination of these two conditions in the medical literature. We wish to report the following case of an extensive hemangioma of the skin associated with diffuse purpuric manifestations.Kasabach, Merritt. 1940
- Merritt KK. Urobilin excretion in children with anemia. Am J Dis Child. 1925;30(5):667-669
- Merritt KK, Davidson LT. The blood during the firsdt year of life: II The anemia of prematurity. Am J Dis Child. 1934;47(2):261–301
- Kasabach HH, Merritt KK. Capillary hemangioma with extensive purpura: report of a case. American Journal of Diseases of Children. 1940; 59: 1063–1070.
- Richards MR, Merritt KK, Samuels MH, Langmann AG. Frequency and significance of cardiac murmurs in the first year of life. Pediatrics. 1955;15(2):169-179.
- Katharine Merritt’s Photo Album 1893-1894
- Obituary. Dr. Katharine Krom Merritt, charity branch founder, dies. New York Times. 1986
- Osman NM. Kasabach – Merritt syndrome: A case report. Sudan J Paediatr. 2013;13(1):49-52.
- Bader E, Shipman AR. The women behind the names: Dermatology eponyms named after women. Int J Womens Dermatol. 2015;1(3):157-160.
- Mahajan P, Margolin J, Iacobas I. Kasabach-Merritt Phenomenon: Classic Presentation and Management Options. Clin Med Insights Blood Disord. 2017;10
- Bibliography. Merritt, Katharine K.. WorldCat Identities
the person behind the name