Katherine Olga Berg Canadian physical therapist.
Research interests include disability and fall prevention as well as health services research examining quality of care and outcomes.
Eponymously associated with the Berg Balance Scale (BBS) a method to measure balance in the elderly
- 1969–1973 BSc PT, McGill University
- 1985–1987 MSc, McGill University. Thesis Measuring balance in the elderly: development of an instrument
- 1987–1993 PhD (Epidemiology and biostatistics), McGill University. Thesis: Measuring balance in the elderly: development and validation of an instrument. The development and validation of a balance scale that is used internationally in rehabilitation and geriatrics clinical practice and research.
- 1993 – 1999 Assistant Professor (research) at the Center for Gerontology and Health Care Research, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island USA
- 2000-2004 Physiotherapy Program Director, School of Physical and Occupational Therapy at McGill University
- 2004 – Associate Professor of the Department of Physical Therapy, University of Toronto
- Adjunct associate professor at Waterloo University; interRAI Instrument and System Development (ISD) Committee; CIHR grant titled “Connecting Emergency Departments with Community services to prevent mobility losses in pre-frail and frail Seniors” (CEDeComS).
Berg Balance Scale (1989)
- Berg KO, Wood-Dauphinee SL, Williams JI, Gayton D. Measuring balance in the elderly: preliminary development of an instrument. Physiotherapy Canada. 1989; 41(6): 304-311
- Berg KO, Wood-Dauphinee SL, Williams JI, Maki B. Measuring balance in the elderly: validation of an instrument. Can J Public Health. 1992;83 Suppl 2:S7-S11 [Berg Balance Scale]
- Berg KO, Maki BE, Williams JI, Holliday PJ, Wood-Dauphinee SL. Clinical and laboratory measures of postural balance in an elderly population. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1992;73(11):1073-1080.
- Berg K, Wood-Dauphinee S, Williams JI. The Balance Scale: reliability assessment with elderly residents and patients with an acute stroke. Scand J Rehabil Med. 1995;27(1):27-36.
- Berg K, Mor V, Morris J, Murphy KM, Moore T, Harris Y. Identification and evaluation of existing nursing homes quality indicators. Health Care Financ Rev. 2002;23(4):19-36.
- Miyamoto ST, Lombardi Junior I, Berg KO, Ramos LR, Natour J. Brazilian version of the Berg balance scale. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2004;37(9):1411-1421
- Muir SW, Berg K, Chesworth B, Speechley M. Use of the Berg Balance Scale for predicting multiple falls in community-dwelling elderly people: a prospective study. Phys Ther. 2008;88(4):449-459.
- Katherine Berg, PhD PT. University of Toronto
- Katherine Berg, PhD PT. interRAI
- Katherine Berg. ORCiD
- Bibliography. Berg, Katherine. WorldCat Identities
the person behind the name
Graduated from Southampton Medical School in 2017 with BMBS. Working in Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital Emergency Department in Perth, Australia.
Studied at University of Birmingham MBChB, and King's College London BSc (Psychology). British doctor working in Emergency Medicine, Perth. Special interests include elderly care, neurology and emergency medicine.