Olga Imerslund (1907 – 1987) was a Norwegian paediatrician.
Imerslund is best known for her contribution in the identification of the Imerslund-Gräsbeck syndrome (1945-1956)
- Born 9 April 1907 in Vang, Norway
- 1936 – University of Oslo
- 1941-1942 Assistant physician at Göteborg Barnsjukhus
- 1943-1945 Edinburgh
- 1947 Ullevål sykehus, Oslo
- 1948-1955 Rikshospitalet, Oslo with a year in Haukeland sykehus, Bergen
- 1956-1957 Scholarship in USA
- 1959-1961 Head physician at the Scandinavian teaching Hospital in Korea
- Died 23 August 1987
Rare autosomal recessive syndrome caused by selective malabsorption of vitamin B12 (cobalamin) with megaloblastic anaemia (juvenile pernicious anaemia). Usually responsive to parenteral vitamin B12 therapy, the condition appears in childhood. Additional features include failure to thrive and grow; multiple infections and
neurological damage. Mild proteinuria with no signs of kidney disease is present in around half of the patients.
In the University Pediatric Department, Rikshospitalet, Oslo, during the years 1945-56, I had the opportunity to study a group of chronic megaloblastic anemias which seem to represent a disease sui generis not separated as such before. The purpose of the present work has been to describe these cases; investigate the nature of the proteinuria found in 8 of the patients; to exclude other causes of megaloblastic anemia; and investigate the genetic aspects of the disease.Imerslund 1959
Two cases of juvenile megaloblastic anemia due to vitamin B12 deficiency are described. Both patients had benign proteinuria and were resistant to intrinsic factor. Vitamin B,, was not absorbed from the intestine. It is suggested that the association of juvenile vitamin B12 malabsorption and proteinuria represents a congenital syndrome….Since the submission of this paper, Dr. Imerslund’s publication (Acta Paediatr. Suppl. 119, 1960) has reached us. Her study establishes the familial incidence of this syndrome.Gräsbeck 1960
[aka Juvenile megaloblastic anaemia; Megaloblastic anaemia 1 (MGA 1); Imerslund anaemia; Selective vitamin B12 (cobalamin) malabsorption with proteinuria]
- Imerslund O. Idiopathic chronic megaloblastic anemia in children. Acta Paediatr Suppl. 1960;49(Suppl 119):1-115
- Broch H, Imerslund O, Monn E, Hovig T, Seip M. Imerslund-Gräsbeck anemia. A long-term follow-up study. Acta Paediatr Scand. 1984;73(2):248-253
- Bibliography. Imerslund, Olga. WorldCat Identities
- Najman E, Brausil B. Megaloblastische Anämie mit Relapsen ohne Achylia gastrica im Kindesalter [Megaloblastic anemia with relapse without gastric achylia in childhood]. Ann Paediatr. 1952;178(1):47-59.
- Gräsbeck R, Gordin R, Kantero I, Kuhlbäck B. Selective vitamin B12 malabsorption and proteinuria in young people. A syndrome. Acta Med Scand. 1960;167(4):289-296.
- Broides A, Yerushalmi B, Levy R, et al. Imerslund-Grasbeck syndrome associated with recurrent aphthous stomatitis and defective neutrophil function. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2006;28(11):715-719
- Gräsbeck, R. Imerslund-Gräsbeck syndrome (selective vitamin B12 malabsorption with proteinuria). Orphanet J Rare Dis 2006; 1: 17
- Scully C, Langdon J, Evans J. Marathon of eponyms: 9 Imerslund-Grasbeck syndrome (Juvenile pernicious anaemia). Oral Dis. 2010;16(2):219-220
the person behind the name