Philip Gaylord Lindsay (1937 – 2017) was an American physician and psychiatrist.
Dr Lindsay, board certified in internal medicine and psychiatry, was in private practice for over 40 years—always in suit or jacket and bow tie. Central to the development of a psychiatric service at Valley Medical Center and then to the psychiatry ICU at Providence Hospital, Seattle
Distinguished physician, nature photographer, ornithologist, sculptor and artist. Dr Lindsay is remembered eponymously for Lindsay nails (1967)
- Born 21 January 1937
- 1955 – Auburn Academy, Washington
- 1959 – BS in Zoology at Walla Walla College, Washington
- 1963 – MD, Lorna Linda University, California
- 1964 – Internship at Los Angeles County General Hospital
- 1966 -1968 – Captain, United States Air Force, Tinker AFB
- 1971 – 2003 Assistant clinical professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, University of Washington
- 1973 – Founder of psychiatry inpatients services, Valley General Hospital
- 1977 – Founder of psychiatry inpatients services, Providence Medical Center
- 1992-1994 Chairman, Department of psychiatry, Providence Medical Center, Seattle
- Died 3 September 2017
Lindsay nails (1967)
Lindsay nails (Half-and-Half nails)
- Lindsay PG. The half-and-half nail. Arch Intern Med. 1967; 119(6): 583‐587. [Lindsay’s nails]
- Lindsay PG, Wyckoff M. The depression-pain syndrome and its response to antidepressants. Psychosomatics. 1981;22(7):571‐577
- Schwartz M, Friedman R, Lindsay P, Narrol H. The relationship between conceptual tempo and depression in children. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1982;50(4):488‐490.
- Lindsay PG, Olsen RB. Maprotiline in pain-depression. J Clin Psychiatry. 1985; 46(6): 226‐228.
- Grant BL, Lindsay PB. Psychosis and water intoxication as presenting symptoms of pulmonary carcinoma. Psychosomatics. 1986;27(10):732‐733.
- Philip G Lindsay juror declaration. LINX, 2002
- Avhad G, Ghuge P. Half and half nail. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2014;5(Suppl 1):S67.
- Obituary. Philip G. Lindsay ’63. Loma Linda University School of Medicine Alumni Journal. 2018; 89(2): 40
the person behind the name
British doctor (BMBS) working in emergency medicine in Perth, Australia. I am currently figuring out what to specialise in and making the most of what WA has to offer.