A 36 year old woman presents with sharp left sided chest pain. What do these clips of her left chest show?
- The first clip shows the typical features of pneumothorax.
- On the left of the image the sternum is seen, then the internal thoracic vessels.
- The echogenic line deep to these is the pleural surface and there is a complete lack of sliding. The vertical movement of the pleural surface is chest wall movement with respiration.
- The second clip shows a double contact point, where lung abuts the pleural surface with free air on either side.
- The final clip shows a typical lung point with sliding lung on the right and pneumothorax on the left.
Explanation of the various lung points.
The patient’s chest x-ray. The small apical pneumothorax is very subtle.
Related Clinical Cases