Ralph Milton Waters (1883 – 1979) was an American anesthesiologist.
Waters is best known as the founder of the first academic program in anesthesiology, at the University of Wisconsin
- Born 9 October 1883 North Bloomfield, Ohio
- 1945 – President of the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA)
- Died 19 December 1979
Waters To-and-Fro Carbon Dioxide Absorption Canister (1923)
Guedel-Waters Cuffed intratracheal tube (1928)
The catheter effectively prevents all air leaks and renders the respiratory system entirely closed, with a controllable to and fro respiratory exchange. Aspiration of foreign matter into the lungs is not possible with the catheter in place.Guedel, Waters 1928
Waters Airway (1930)
The Waters Airway (OPA) has a side port or “nipple” to deliver air or oxygen via tubing. Designed as a metal airway to prevent patients from accidentally biting on the airway and occluding gas flow.
Key Medical Attributions
- Waters RM. Clinical Scope and Utility of Carbon Dioxid Filtration in Inhalation Anesthesia. Current Researches in Anesthesia & Analgesia. 1924; 3(1): 20-22
- Guedel AE, Waters RM. A new intratracheal catheter. Anesth Analg 1928; 7: 238-239
- Gillespie NA. Ralph Milton Waters: A brief biography. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 1949; 21(4): 197–214
- Gordh T. Ralph M. Waters and Swedish anesthesiology. J Clin Anesth. 1994 May-Jun;6(3):221-6.
- Bacon DR, Ament R. Ralph Waters and the beginnings of academic anesthesiology in the United States: the Wisconsin Template. J Clin Anesth. 1995 Sep;7(6):534-43.
- Sands RP Jr, Bacon DR. Ralph Waters as a regional anesthesiologist. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 1999 May-Jun;24(3):252-4.
- Caton D. Ralph M. Waters, M.D., and Professionalism in Anesthesiology: A Celebration of 75 Years. Anesthesiology. 2003; 98: 286.
- Morris LE. The Continuing Influence of Ralph M. Waters on Education in Anesthesiology. In: Rupreht J, van Lieburg MJ, Lee JA, Erdmann W. (eds) Anaesthesia. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- Ralph M. Waters Visiting Professor Program. Medical Faculty at Wisconsin
- The Ralph M. Waters Collection. Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiology
- Artificial Airways. AARC Virtual Museum
the person behind the name