William Norman Pickles (1885 – 1969) was an English general practitioner
- Born on March 6, 1885 in Camp Road, Leeds
- 1914-1918 Surgeon-lieutenant in the Royal Naval Reserve during WWI
- 1942 – Milroy lecturer at the Royal College of Physicians of London
- 1946 – Stewart prize of the British Medical Association, shared with epidemiologist Major Greenwood (1880-1849)
- 1948 – Cutter lecturer at Harvard University
- 1950 – Honorary Doctorate of Science from Leeds University
- 1953-1956 First president of the College of General Practitioners
- 1955 – Honorary fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
- 1957 – CBE, Commander of the Order of the British Empire
- Died on March 2, 1969
Key Medical Contributions
- Pickles WN. Vincent’s disease. J Roy Nav Med Serv 1919; 5: 87
- Pickles WN. Epidemic catarrhal jaundice: an outbreak in Yorkshire. Br Med J. 1930 May 24;1(3620):944-6
- Pickles WN. “Bornholm” disease: account of a Yorkshire outbreak. Br Med J. 1933; 2(3800): 817-8.
- Pickles WN. Epidemiology in Country Practice: (Section of Epidemiology and State Medicine). Proc R Soc Med. 1935 Aug;28(10):1337-42
- Pickles WN. Epidemiology in country practice. 1939
- Pickles WN, Burnet FM, McArthur N. Epidemic respiratory infection in a rural population with special reference to the influenza A epidemics of 1933, 1936-7 and 1943-4. J Hyg (Lond). 1947 Dec;45(4):469-73.
- Pickles WN. The country doctor. Lancet. 1948 Feb 7;1(6493):201-3.
- Pickles WN. The country doctor and public health. Public Health 1944;58:2.
- Pickles WN. Research in general practice. Br Med J. 1948 Sep 4;2(4574):469-71.
- Pickles WN. Epidemiology in country practice. N Engl J Med. 1948 Sep 16;239(12):419-27.
- Pickles WN. Trends of general practice; a hundred years in a Yorkshire dale. Practitioner. 1951 Oct;167(1000):322-9
- Pickles WN. Sylvest’s disease (Bornholm disease). N Engl J Med. 1954 Jun 17;250(24):1033-6
- Pickles WN. Bornholm Disease. The Practitioner 1955; 174(1039-1044): 85-86
- Pickles WN. Epidemiology in the Yorkshire Dales. The Practitioner 1955; 17: 76–87.
- Obituary: W. N. Pickles. Br Med J. 1969 Mar 15; 1(5645): 719–720
- Pemberton J. Will Pickles of Wensleydale. The Life of a Country Doctor. 1970
- Murrell TG. Nineteenth century masters of general practice. Med J Aust. 1991; 155(11-12): 785-7
- Moorhead R. Pickles of Wensleydale. J R Soc Med. 2001; 94(10): 536-40
- Metcalfe N. William Norman Pickles (1885–1969) In: 100 Notable Names from General Practice 2018: 105-107
- Made in North Yorkshire: Dr Pickles. North Yorkshire County Record Office, 2020
- Biography: William Norman Pickles. Lives of the Fellows of the Royal College of Physicians of London. Munk’s Roll: Volume VI: 379.
- Bibliography. Pickles, William Norman. WorldCat Identities
the person behind the name
Graduated from Leeds University in 2014 with MBChB and BSC in Primary Care. Qualified as a General Practitioner under RCGP in 2020. Currently working as an Emergency Department doctor in Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Perth, Australia.
Associate Professor Curtin Medical School, Curtin University. Emergency physician MA (Oxon) MBChB (Edin) FACEM FFSEM Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. Passion for rugby; medical history; medical education; and asynchronous learning #FOAMed evangelist. Co-founder and CTO of Life in the Fast lane | Eponyms | Books | Twitter |