Prof Ziro Kaneko (1915 – 1997) Japanese neuropsychiatrist.
Pioneer in the field of Geriatric Psychiatry in Japan. Together with Shigeo Satomura, he constructed the Doppler flowmeter to measure the Doppler noise from blood vessels.
Kaneko continued work on the flowmeter after Satomura’s premature death in 1960. Although initially they believed turbulent flow was responsible for the recorded flow patterns but in 1962 they concluded that reflections from red blood cells moving at different velocities was responsible, leading to spectral flow analysis
- Born 1915
- 1938 – Graduated MD, Osaka University Medical School
- 1939-1945 – Army surgeon in China
- 1946 – Department of Neuropsychiatry of Osaka University
- 1946 – Founder and Professor (1953) of the Department of Psychiatry, Nara Prefecture Medical School
- 1956 – Professor of the Department of Neuropsychiatry at Osaka University.
- 1978 – Director of the Kansai Rosai Hospital
- Died September 21, 1997
- Doppler Rheograph – built and marketed by NEC (Nippon Electric Company)
Ultrasonic waves are transmitted to the blood vessels from the surface of the skin and, by demodulating and amplifying the reflected waves that are produced by the turbulent flow within the blood stream, a noise is obtained that changes its intensity in proportion to the velocity of flow of the blood. It is thus possible to determine the state of the blood flow in the arteries and veins and to judge the condition of the blood vessels…Kaneko 1960
- Kaneko Z. First steps in the development of the Doppler flowmeter. Ultrasound Med Biol. 1986 Mar;12(3):187-95. [PMID 2938323]
- Kaneko Z., Koniuta K. Kotani H and Satomura S. Studies on peripheral circulation with ultrasonics, abstract of the 65th Meeting of Kinki Psychiat. Neurol. Society (feb 21, 1959). Psychiat Neurol. Jpn 61, 2140.
- Kaneko Z, Komuta K, Kotani H, Satomura S. Studies on ultrasonic blood-rheograph. Brain and Nerve 1960; 12. 92 1-935.
- Kaneko Z, Kotani H, Komuta K, Satomura S. Studies on peripheral circulation by Ultrasonic Blood-Rheograph. Jpn Circ.J. 1961; 25, 203-213
- Woo JSK. http://www.ob-ultrasound.net/kaneko.html. Obstetric Ultrasound. 2006
the person behind the name
Associate Professor Curtin Medical School, Curtin University. Emergency physician MA (Oxon) MBChB (Edin) FACEM FFSEM Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. Passion for rugby; medical history; medical education; and asynchronous learning #FOAMed evangelist. Co-founder and CTO of Life in the Fast lane | Eponyms | Books | Twitter |