My name is Rick Abbott, I am an ER Doc, in practice since 1973, with bad wanderlust – having practiced in moderate sized community hospitals, small rural hospitals, and currently practicing mostly in a large, University teaching hospital in Denver, Colorado with occasional trips to practice in an 8 bed ER at an Indian Health Service Hospital.
A recent 3 month stay in Tasmania has offered me one more setting for comparisons of practice styles. I also likes to see medicine from the other side, which I achieve by crashing my bicycle on a regular basis…
- Episode 01 – Why are there so many emergencies here? This is an ER!
- Episode 02 – What is that stuff that you give for a fever?
- Episode 03 – Who’s gonna insert that cannula, place that urinary catheter, whatever?
- Episode 04 – Consultants, HTFU and the depressing state of US healthcare
- Episode 05 – Dollars and no sense
- Episode 06 – Clear!!!
- Episode 07 – All I need to do is write a final diagnosis, right?
- Episode 08 – Emergency Imaging in Tassie
- Episode 09 – The Registrar sits at the desk registering patients. Right?
- Episode 10 – It costs what?
- Episode 11 – How much is that doggie in the ICU?
- Episode 12 – Overcrowded, understaffed and underfunded… It’s just not cricket
- Episode 13 – No emergency? No, thanks...
- Episode 14 – Namaste! No overcrowding here…
- Episode 15 – I’m so old that…
- Episode 16 – Retrievals: Too sick, crazy, big, or little to stay here!
- Episode 17 – And now for the news…
- Episode 18 – I called in sick for a shift
- Episode 19a – The News from #ACEP12 Day 1
- Episode 19b – The News from #ACEP12 Days 2 and 3
- Episode 20 – The Final News from #ACEP12
- Episode 21 – Postal Codes and the Gallbladder
- Episode 22 – Lies, Damned Lies and Monitors
- Episode 23 – Sore throats and the learned professional
- Episode 24 – Why do we get to treat so few strokes?
- Episode 25 – If you die, do you want to stay dead?
- Episode 26 – EBM and the rule of thumb
- Episode 27 – The “Olden Days” and the (o)esophagus
- Episode 28 – Notes from SAEM 2014
- Episode 29 – More Notes from SAEM 2014
- Episode 30 – Let’s string together a few rules of thumb
- Episode 31 – The Land of Protocols
American ER doc