Ben Goldacre is one of my favourite authors. A sensible degree of cynicism mixed with a cynical degree of sensibility. If you enjoyed his early works such as – Bad Science and Bad Pharma…then the next installment will be right up your alley – Do Statins Work?
In this TED talk, Goldacre talks about the publication bias in favour of positive trials – such that ‘only freaks get published’. Highlighting examples such as reboxetine and oseltamivir (tamiflu) he shows that publication bias is a cancer eating at the heart of evidence-based medicine. Goldacre asks all to call for the mandatory publication of all drug trials ever performed to fix this disastrous situation.
- Bad Science – the website
- Bad Science: Quacks, Hacks, and Big Pharma Flacks
- Bad Pharma: How Drug Companies Mislead Doctors and Harm Patients
- I Think You’ll Find It’s a Bit More Complicated Than That
- Do Statins Work?: The Battle for Perfect Evidence-Based Medicine