Burrill Bernard Crohn (1884 – 1983) was an American gastroenterologist.
practiced medicine until he was 90
- Born June 13, 1884 in New York
- Died July 29, 1983 in New Milford, Connecticut
Crohn’s disease (1932)
1932 – Crohn et al delivered a classic paper with the first clear and comprehensive description of regional ileitis, which the authors segregated from the heterogeneous group of ‘benign granulomas of the intestine’.
Burrill B. Crohn Research Foundation
Key Medical Attributions
- Crohn BB. The Psychoneuroses Affecting the Gastro-Intestinal Tract. Bull N Y Acad Med. 1930; 6(3): 155‐178.
- Crohn BB, Ginzburg L, Oppenheimer GD. Regional ileitis; a pathologic and clinical entity. JAMA, 1932; 99: 1323-1329.
- Penner A, Crohn BB. Perianal fistulae as a complication of regional ileitis. Ann Surg. 1938; 108(5): 867‐873.
- Crohn BB. Chronic Gastritis: Clinical Aspects. Bull N Y Acad Med. 1939; 15(6): 392‐405.
- Crohn BB, Ginzburg L, Oppenheimer GD. Regional ileitis; a pathologic and clinical entity. Am J Med. 1952; 13(5): 583‐590. [Reprint with one figure omitted]
- Notes on the evolution of a medical specialist, 1907-1963.
- Waggoner WH. Dr. Burrill B. Crohn, 99, An Expert on Diseases of the Intestinal Tract. The New York Times. 1983 30th July
- Janowitz HD. Burrill B. Crohn (1884-1983). Mt. Sinai J Med 2000; 67: 12-3
- Ellis H. Burrill Bernard Crohn. J Perioper Pract. 2012;22(6):207.
- de Campos FG, Kotze PG. Burrill Bernard Crohn (1884-1983): the man behind the disease. Arq Bras Cir Dig. 2013;26(4):253‐255.
- Bibliography. Crohn, Burrill B. WorldCat Identities
- Arawattigi SD. Regional Entero-Colitis (Crohn’s Disease). Ind Med Gaz. 1943;78(5):238‐241.
the person behind the name