Carl-Axel Cedell (1932-2021) was a Swedish Orthopaedic Surgeon. Eponymously affiliated with the Cedell fracture he described in 1974
- Born January 19, 1932
- 1967 – Thesis in orthopaedic surgery University of Lund
- Orthopaedic Surgeon at the Central Hospital, Växjö
- Died on August 23, 2021 in Växjö, Sweden
Cedell fracture (1974)
Posterior talar process fracture with injury to the medial tubercle caused by forced dorsiflexion and pronation. First described in 4 patients by Cedell in 1974
Isolated rupture of the posterior talotibial ligament is probably a very rare injury. The author has diagnosed this ligament injury in four sportsmen, who had a chronic state of insufficiency with medial pain and swelling in the ankle joint. Clinical examination revealed the occurrence of a bony and tender formation behind the medial malleolus which at operation was found to be an unhealed avulsion fragment belonging to the medial tubercle of the talusCedell 1974
**Shepherd fracture – Posterior talar process fracture with injury to the lateral tubercle caused by inversion or extreme equinus
Cedell method (1967)
Cerclage wire and staple method for fractures of the lateral malleolus requiring open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF)
- Cedell CA. Outward rotation-supination injuries of the ankle. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1965 Sep-Oct;42:97-100.
- Cedell CA. Supination-outward rotation injuries of the ankle. A clinical and roentgenological study with special reference to the operative treatment. Acta Orthop Scand. 1967: Suppl 110:3 [Cedell method]
- Cedell CA. Rupture of the posterior talotibial ligament with the avulsion of a bone fragment from the talus. Acta Orthop Scand. 1974;45(3):454-61. [Cedell fracture]
- Cedell CA. Ankle lesions. Acta Orthop Scand. 1975 Jun;46(3):425-45.
- Cedell CA, Aström M. Proximal metatarsal osteotomy in hallux valgus. Acta Orthop Scand. 1982 Dec;53(6):1013-8
- Cedell CA. Is closed treatment of ankle fractures advisable? Acta Orthop Scand. 1985 Apr;56(2):101-2.
- Åströrn M, Cedell CA. Metatarsal osteotomy in rheumatoid arthritis. Acta Orthop Scand 1987 58:4, 398-400
- Cedell CA. Ankle fractures. Current Orthopaedics, 1989; 3(4): 244–250
- Obituary. Carl-Axel Cedell. familjesidan.se 2021
- Bibliography. Cedell, Carl-Axel 1932- [WorldCat Identities]. WorldCat Identities
- Berggren SS, Tiderius CJ. The Cedell method (cerclage wire and staple) leads to less reoperations than the AO method. Acta Orthop. 2015 Jun; 86(3): 384–387.
- Eponymythology: Eponymous ankle and talus injuries. LITFL
the person behind the name
Associate Professor Curtin Medical School, Curtin University. Emergency physician MA (Oxon) MBChB (Edin) FACEM FFSEM Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. Passion for rugby; medical history; medical education; and asynchronous learning #FOAMed evangelist. Co-founder and CTO of Life in the Fast lane | Eponyms | Books | Twitter |