Conrad Ramstedt (1867–1963) was a German surgeon.
Eponymously affiliated with the Ramstedt Pylorotomy, of which he carried out 70 during his career. First performed in 1911 and published in 1912 and 1913.
Served in the German army medical corps in World War I
- Born on February 1, 1867 in Hamersleben in Central Prussia
- 1894 – Graduated after studying Medicine at Heidelberg, Berlin and Halle
- 1895–1901 Surgical assistant at the University Surgical Clinic in Halle
- 1901-1909 Medical officer in the (Westphalian) Cuirassiers ‘von Driesen’
- 1911 – Ramstedt performed his first pylorotomy on a 7 week-old, firstborn son of a Westphalian nobleman on August 23, 1911
- WWI – Oberstabsarzt (Major) in the German Army
- 1919 – Chief of Surgery in the Rafaelklinik in Munster
- Died on February 7, 1963 in Munster, Germany
Longitudinal myotomy of the pyloric muscle without attempt to close the defect, in contrast to previous methods involving closure of the hypertrophied muscle
Ramstedt is credited with pioneering the modern surgical management of Pyloric Stenosis
While working in Munster, Ramstedt suggested that simple pyloric myotomy may surfice for management of Pyloric Stenosis (1911) rather than attempting closure of the pyloric muscle, as was carried out previously. He carried out and described this procedure in the October 1912
His description of this method was preceded by Sir Harold Stiles in Edinburgh, who performed and documented the operation in February 1912
- Rammstedt C. Zur Operation der angeborenen Pylorusstenose. Medizinische Klinik 1912; 8(2):1702–1705
- Rammstedt C. Zur Operation der angeborenen Pylorusstenose. Münchener medizinische Wochenschrift. 1912; 59(44): 2422
- Rammstedt C. Zur Operation der angeborenen Pylorusstenose. Monatsschrift für Kinderheilkunde 1913; 11(6): 409-411
- Rammstedt C. Die Operation der angeborenen Pylorusstenose. Zentralblatt für Chirurgie 1913; 40(1): 3-4
Ramstedt’s name was spelt with two ‘m’s (Rammstedt) in publications pre ~1920, due to an error apparently introduced by his grandfather into church records. He appears to have reverted to the original spelling after discovering this following WWI.
- Bibliography. Rammstedt, Conrad. WorldCat Identities
- Pollock WF, Norris WJ. Dr. Conrad Ramstedt and pyloromyotomy. Surgery. 1957 Nov;42(5):966-70.
- Georgoula C, Gardiner M. Pyloric stenosis a 100 years after Ramstedt. Arch Dis Child. 2012 Aug;97(8):741-5
- Shaw A. Ramstedt and the centennial of pyloromyotomy. J Pediatr Surg. 2012 Jul;47(7):1433-5
the person behind the name