Edwin Allen Locke (1874-1971) was an American Physician
Much of his work and interests within medicine involved care and treatment of tuberculosis and pulmonary disease.
Collaborated with Richard Clarke-Cabot and noted an early diastolic murmur, heard in untreated anaemia, with normal valvular anatomy. The murmur sounds similar to aortic regurgitation, but without a decrescendo and resolves with the treatment of anaemia – the Cabot-Locke murmur (1903).
- Born 15 October 1874 Halifax, Massachusetts.
- 1896 – Bachelor of Philosophy, Brown University.
- 1897 – Master of Arts, Brown University.
- 1901 – Graduated from Harvard Medical School.
- 1902 – Appointed ‘House Pupil’ at Massachusetts General Hospital. Awarded Dalton Scholarship to investigate ‘Osteitis deformans and allied affections’.
- 1903 – Started work at Boston City Hospital as Physician to Outpatients.
- 1905 – Founding member of the Interurban Clinical Club
- 1918 – set up a special ward for the treatment of patients during the influenza pandemic at Boston City Hospital.
- 1921 – Part of the first organised group practice in Boston.
- 1923 – Clinical Professor of Medicine, Harvard.
- 1934 – President of the Harvard Medical School Alumni Association.
- 1935 – Resigned from clinical duties to become Professor of Hygiene and Director of Health and Athletics at Williams College.
- 1942 – Retired and subsequently cared for his wife who suffered a severe stroke.
- Died 6 March 1971 aged 96
- Cabot-Locke murmur (1903)
- Cabot RC, Locke EA. On the occurrence of diastolic murmurs without lesions of the aortic or pulmonary valves. Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp 1903;14:115-20.
- Locke EA. Tuberculosis in Massachusetts. Boston, Wright & Potter. 1908.
- Locke EA. Food values: practical tables for use in private practice and public institutions. 1911.
- Stetson RP. Memorial. Edwin Allen Locke, M.D. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc. 1972; 83: xli–xlv. [PMC2441247]
- Finland M. Edwin Allen Locke 1874-1971. Trans Assoc Am Physicians. 1972;85:27-30. [PMID 4573635]
- Edwin Allen Locke, MD (1874-1971) In: Inter urban clinical club (1905-2015) p18-20
- Cemetery: Dr Edwin Allen Locke. 1971.
- Photograph: Edwin Allen Locke In: At Their Service by Ruder DB. Winter 2014
the person behind the name