George Alexander Gibson (1854 – 1913) was a Scottish physician.
Physician and amateur geologist, Gibson wrote on the diverse fields of both geology and heart disease.
Eponymously affiliated with the Gibson murmur (1906)
- Born 27 January 1854
- Educated at both the University of Glasgow and Edinburgh University. Obtained his DSc in 1877 and MD in 1881
- Initially studied Law before changing to Medicine. His father was a solicitor
- Briefly appointed assistant-physician to Birmingham General Hospital 1878
- House-physician to George Balfour at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary
- Appointed President of the Dialectic Society and Royal Medial Society
- Held his appointment as a Physician to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for 22 years
- Died 18 January 1913
- Gibson murmur (1906) – continuous machinery murmur of patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)
- Gibson Memorial Lecture: as a memorial to George Alexander Gibson, 1913 [Br Med J 1913;2:151]
- Gibson GA. The Old Red Sandstone of Shetland. A graduation thesis. Williams & Norgate. 1877.
- Gibson GA. On The Signs Of Chlorosis. 1877.
- Gibson GA. Jugular Reflux and Tricuspid Regurgitation. 1880.
- Gibson GA. Cheyne-Stokes respiration. 1892.
- Gibson GA. Physical Diagnosis: A Guide to Methods of Clinical Investigation. 1893
- Gibson GA. Diseases of the heart and aorta. Pentland, Edinburgh, 1898 [pp 161 (Fig 51), 303, 310–312]
- Gibson GA. Text-book of medicine. Pentland, Edinburgh, 1901.
- Gibson GA. The nervous affections of the heart. Morison lecture, Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh in 1902 and 1903
- Gibson GA. Practice of medicine. 1901. [Volume I] [Volume II]
- Gibson GA. A clinical lecture on persistent ductus arteriosus. Med Press Circular 1906;132:572-4. [Gibson murmur]
- Tynan M. The murmur of the persistently patent arterial duct, or “The Colonel is going to a dance”. Cardiol Young. 2003 Dec;13(6):559-62. [PMID 14982298]
- Memorial: to the late Dr George Alexander Gibson. Br Med J 1913;2:151 [BMJ reference]
- Mackenzie J. The First George Alexander Gibson Memorial Lecture. Br Med J. 1914 May 16; 1(2785): 1053–1057. [PMC2300904]
- Ma I, Tierney LM. Name that murmur–eponyms for the astute auscultician. N Engl J Med. 2010 Nov 25;363(22):2164-8.[PMID 21105801]
- Malik PK, Ahmad M, Rani A, Dwivedi S. The men who picked the truant notes in heart sounds. Astrocyte 2015;1:305-8. [PDF]
Obituary. The Late George Alexander Gibson. Edinb Med J. 1913 Feb; 10(2): 152-155. [PDF]
the person behind the name