Herrman Ludwig Blumgart (1895-1977) was an American physician, cardiologist and pioneer of diagnostic nuclear medicine.
In 1925, Hermann Blumgart performed the first diagnostic procedure using radioactive indicators on humans. Referred to as the father of diagnostic nuclear medicine, in that he performed the first radiotracer test on a human (himself).
- Born 18 July 1895 in New Jersey, United States
- 1921 – M.D. from Harvard Medical School
- 1928 – Appointed to the Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, serving as Assistant Professor of Medicine 1928-1946 before his appointment to Physician- in Chief. A Position he held until 1962.
- 1946 – Appointed Professor of Medicine at Harvard
- 1956 – Editor-in-chief of Circulation
- 1969 – Named first physician by the Society of Nuclear Medicine
- Died 21 March 1977 in Massachusetts, United States
Blumgart-Ernstene murmur (1933)
To differentiate aortic insufficiency from peripheral vasodilation through immersion of limbs in cold water and the application of subdiastolic pressures. Duroziez-type murmur auscultated with the patients arm subjected to various temperatures of water and by applying a subdiastolic pressure below the auscultation site, to help differentiate between aortic insufficiency and peripheral vasodilatation.
- Blumgart–Yens detector; the Blumgart–Yens modified cloud chamber heralded the birth of nuclear medicine instrumentation
- Hermann L. Blumgart Award (1989) Cardiovascular Council Award for outstanding achievement in the field of nuclear cardiology
- Blumgart HL, Yens OC. Studies on the velocity of blood flow: I. The method utilized. J Clin Invest. 1926;4:1–13.
- Blumgart HL, Ernstene AC. Two mechanisms in production of Duroziez’s sign: Their diagnostic significance and clinical test for differentiating between them. JAMA. 1933; 100(3): 173-177. [Blumgart-Ernstene murmur]
- Portrait: “Herrman L. Blumgart,” OnView: Digital Collections & Exhibits
- Freedberg AS. In memoriam. Herrman L. Blumgart. J Nucl Med. 1978 May;19(5):569.
- Patton DD. The birth of nuclear medicine instrumentation: Blumgart and Yens, 1925. J Nucl Med. 2003 Aug;44(8):1362-5.
- Zhang G. Eponyms in Aortic Regurgitation. LITFL 2019
the person behind the name
U.K trained doctor currently working in ED in Perth my interests include all things acute medicine.