Javier Arias Stella
Javier Arias-Stella (1924 – 2020) was a Peruvian pathologist and politician.
Arias-Stella was author or co-author of more than one hundred and fifty publications on general, surgical and gynaecological pathology, and on biology and pathology in high altitudes
- Born August 2, 1924 in Lima, Peru
- 1951 – Bachelors degree in medicine, Universidad Mayor de San Marcos
- 1959 – MD, Universidad Mayor de San Marcos
- 1961 – Co-founded the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia
- 1963-1965 Minister of Public Health, Peru
- 1967-1968 Minister of Public Health, Peru
- 1974 – Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists, England
- 1975-1977 President of the National Academy of Medicine
- 1980-1983 Minister of Foreign Relations, Peru
- 1984-1985 President of the United Nations Security Council
- 1999-2001 President of the National Academy of Medicine
- Died February 25, 2020
Arias Stella Reaction (1954)
- Arias-Stella J. Atypical endometrial changes associated with the presence of chorionic tissue. AMA Arch Pathol. 1954 Aug;58(2):112-128.
- Arias-Stella J. Abnormal endometrial changes induced in the rat; the effects of chorionic hormone and estrogen. AMA Arch Pathol. 1955 Jul;60(1):49-58
- Arias-Stella J. Endometrial changes in the rat; the effect of estrogen when administered after an interval following castration. AMA Arch Pathol. 1955 Jul;60(1):59-62.
- Arias-Stella J. The Arias-Stella reaction: facts and fancies four decades after. Adv Anat Pathol. 2002 Jan;9(1):12-23.
- Dr. Javier Arias-Stella MD. FENÓMENO ARIAS STELLA
- Baskett TF. Arias-Stella, Javier. In: Eponyms and Names in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 3e. 2019: 7-8
- Sturgis SH, Meigs JV. Endometrial cycle and mechanism of normal menstruation. American Journal of Surgery 1936;33(3): 369-384
- Sturgis SH. Duration of secretory activity in the glands of the decidua vera. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 1938; 35: 752–761.
- Sturgis SH. The diagnostic significance of the endometrial glands in early pregnancy. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 1940; 39(1): 10-15
- Silverberg SG. Arias-stella phenomenon in spontaneous and therapeutic abortion. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 1972; 112(6): 777-780
- Sturgis SH. Arias-Stella phenomenon. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 1973; 116(4): 589.
- Rosai J, Young RH. Javier Arias-Stella and His Famous Reaction. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2015 Jul;34(4):314-22
the person behind the name
Associate Professor Curtin Medical School, Curtin University. Emergency physician MA (Oxon) MBChB (Edin) FACEM FFSEM Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. Passion for rugby; medical history; medical education; and asynchronous learning #FOAMed evangelist. Co-founder and CTO of Life in the Fast lane | Eponyms | Books | Twitter |