José Luis Bado (1903 – 1977) was a Uruguayan surgeon.
Founded The Society of Trauma and Orthopaedics of Uruguay. Founded The Latin American Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology and published 130 scientific papers and 12 books
Observation is not enough; one must think; observation without thought is as dangerous as thought without observation.’ Bado JL
- Born 8 July 1903 Montevideo, Uruguay
- 1928 – Graduated as gold medal valedictorian from Montevideo School of Medicine
- 1928 – Worked at the military hospital for 2 years
- 1933 – 2 year scholarship, the Rizzoli School of Orthopaedics in Bologna, Italy under Vittorio Putti (1880-1940)
- 1940 – Founded the Society of Trauma and Orthopaedics of Uruguay
- 1951 – Becomes Professor of at Montevideo School of Medicine
- 1951 – 1st Chair of Orthopaedics and Traumatology at School of Medicine, Montevideo
- 1962 – Publishes his eponym defining book: The Monteggia Lesion
- 1967 – Founded The Latin American Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology
- Died 19 December 1977 Montevideo, Uruguay
Key Medical Attributions
1962 – Wrote his seminal book: ‘The Monteggia Lesion’ in which he further classified the Monteggia injury in to four types (rather than just the one extension type described by Giovanni Monteggia 155 years earlier)
1967 – Published the his research on ‘The Monteggia Lesion’ where he reported the treatment outcomes of 22 adults and 18 children advocating non operative treatment in all but type IV injuries.
- Bado JL. The Monteggia Lesion. 1962
- Bado JL. The Monteggia lesion. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1967 Jan-Feb;50:71-86. [PMID 6029027]
- Mostofi SB. Who’s Who in Orthopedics. Springer. pp17-19. 2005
- Rehim SA, Maynard MA, Sebastin SJ, Chung KC. Monteggia fracture-dislocations: A Historical Review. J Hand Surg Am. 2014 Jul; 39(7): 1384–1394. [PMC4266382]
- Biogtafía: José Luis Bado (1903-1977). Colombian Journal of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology. 2006; 20: 18-20.
- Jose Luis Bado 1903-1977. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 1979; 61- A: 153-4. [PMID 365866]
the person behind the name