Mirtazapine is a novel tetracyclic antidepressant, in overdose it frequently has a benign course with mild CNS depression and tachycardia.
Centrally acting alpha-2-adrenergic antagonist that enhances the release of serotonin and noradrenaline. It is also a histamine and serotonin (5-HT2 and 5-HT3) antagonist (therefore causing drowsiness).
- Good oral absorption
- 85% protein bound
- Massive volume of distribution >100L/kg
- Hepatic metabolism, active metabolites which are renally excreted
- Elimination half life is 20-40 hours
- Intubation: Rarely required
- Many patients are asymptomatic.
- Symptoms should occur within 4 hours related to the receptors affected:
- Mild tachycardia
- Drowsiness (in large overdoses)
- CNS depression is more likely if >1000 mg has been ingested but still this is rare. If the patient has significantly reduced GCS another cause should be sought.
- General measures
- Screening: 12 lead ECG, BSL, Paracetamol level
- Not indicated
- Not clinically useful.
- None available.
- Patients who are asymptomatic with a normal (or baseline) 12-lead ECG and vital signs are medically cleared
- Patients with mild sedation are managed supportively on the ward until symptoms resolve.
- Berling I, Isbister GK. Mirtazapine overdose is unlikely to cause major toxicity. Clinical Toxicology 2014; 52:20-24
DRUGS and TOXICANTS
Dr Neil Long BMBS FACEM FRCEM FRCPC. Emergency Physician at Burnaby Hospital in Vancouver Emergency. Loves the misery of alpine climbing and working in austere environments. Supporter of FOAMed, toxicology, tropical medicine, sim and ultrasound
| Read more posts |