Alternate names: Glinski syndrome; Reye syndrome; and Sheehan syndrome apply to necrosis of the pituitary during the postpartum period. Simmonds syndrome which is unrelated to postpartum complications
1913 – Leon Konrad Glinski (1870-1918) was a Polish physician
1914 – German physician, Morris Simmonds (1855-1925) recognised the clinical features were associated with destruction of the anterior lobe of the pituitary; case described in a patient with severe cachexia. Sometimes called Simmonds syndrome which is unrelated to postpartum complications
1928 – Reye
1937 – Sheehan
1949 – Sheehan and Vincent Kirwan Summers (1914-1975) published in the Quarterly Journal of Medicine on the syndrome of hypopituitarism. The paper showed convincingly that emaciation and premature senility (previously considered to be essential for the diagnosis of pituitary insufficiency), were not features of the syndrome. This paper, rather than Sheehan’s earlier papers on pituitary necrosis, led to the syndrome of post-partum pituitary necrosis becoming known as Sheehan syndrome
- Leon Konrad Glinski (1870-1918)
- Morris Simmonds (1855-1925)
- Harold Leeming Sheehan (1900-1988)
- Glinski syndrome; Reye syndrome; and Sheehan’s syndrome
- Simmonds syndrome
Did they first describe or popularise or plagiarise?
- Glinskí LZ. Kazuistiky zmian anatomopatologicznych w paszysadce mózgomej. Przegla̧d Lekarski, 1913; 52: 13–14
- Glinski LK. Anatomische veranderungen der hypophyse. Deutsche medizinische Wochenschrift 1913; 39(1): 473. [abstract]
- Simmonds M. Über Hypophysischwund mit tödlichem Ausgang. Deutsche medizinische Wochenschrift, Berlin, 1914; 40: 322-323
- Reye E. Die ersten klinischen Symptome bei Schwund des Hypophysenvorderlappens (Simmondssche Krankheit) und ihre erfolgreiche Behandlung. Deutsche Medizinische Wochenschrift, 1928; 54: 696
- Sheehan HL. Post-partum necrosis of the anterior pituitary. The Journal of Pathology and Bacteriology 1937; 45(1): 189-214
- Sheehan HL, Murdoch R. Post-partum necrosis of the anterior pituitary: Pathological and clinical aspects. J Obstet Gynaecol Br Emp 1938; 45: 456-472
- Sheehan HL. Post-Partum Necrosis of the Anterior Pituitary. Trans Edinb Obstet Soc. 1938;58:13-28.
- Sheehan HL. Simmonds’s disease due to post-partum necrosis of the anterior pituitary. Quarterly Journal of Medicine, Oxford. 1939; 8(4): 277–309
- Sheehan HL, Summers VK. The syndrome of hypopituitarism, Quarterly Journal of Medicine, Oxford, 1949; 18(4): 319–378
Eponymous term review
- Gonzalez JG, Elizondo G, Saldivar D, Nanez H, Todd LE, Villarreal JZ. Pituitary gland growth during normal pregnancy: an in vivo study using magnetic resonance imaging. Am J Med. 1988 Aug;85(2):217-20
- Tessnow AH, Wilson JD. The changing face of Sheehan’s syndrome. Am J Med Sci. 2010 Nov;340(5):402-6.
- Schury MP, Adigun R. Sheehan Syndrome. 2021 Sep 8. In: StatPearls [Internet].
the names behind the name
Doctor in Australia. Keen interest in internal medicine, medical education, and medical history.
Associate Professor Curtin Medical School, Curtin University. Emergency physician MA (Oxon) MBChB (Edin) FACEM FFSEM Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. Passion for rugby; medical history; medical education; and asynchronous learning #FOAMed evangelist. Co-founder and CTO of Life in the Fast lane | Eponyms | Books | Twitter |