Alessandro Lelli – Italian Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Specialist in arthroscopic and open knee surgery surgery performing over 18,000+ knee ligament reconstructions.
Epoynmously linked with the Lelli Test (Lever test) used as a clinical test for the diagnosis of Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) rupture.
- 1980 – Degree in Medicine and Surgery at l’Università degli Studi di Bologna
- 1980- Commenced Specialisation Training in Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery at the Bologna School of Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery
- 1982 – Orthopedic Consultant for Professional Basketball team Virtus Pallacanestro di Bologna
- 1985 – Specialization in Orthopedics and Traumatology at l’Università degli Studi di Bologna
- 1996 – Became Head of the arthroscopic knee surgery at l’Ospedale Villa Laura a Bologna
- 2011 – XXth International Isokinetic Congress of Bologna, publication of the ‘Lelli test‘ for enhanced diagnosis of functional ACL disruption
- 2013 – International Faculty for la chirurgia legamentosa e protesica
- 2015 – Honorary Professor at the University of Shenzhen – China
Lelli Test (2005)
The Lever sign test as described by Lelli is a clinical test for the diagnosis of Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) rupture:
- Lelli test is carried out with patient in supine position, knee in full extension and heel touching the bed.
- A clenched fist is placed beneath the proximal calf just distal to tibial tuberosity.
- Gentle downwards pressure is applied over quadriceps tendon and the examiner looks to see if the heel ‘lifts off’ the bed.
- The test is positive if there is no heel lift-off and indicates likely ACL disruption
- Lelli A, Di Turi RP, Spenciner DB, Dòmini M. The “Lever Sign”: a new clinical test for the diagnosis of anterior cruciate ligament rupture. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016 Sep;24(9):2794-7
- Deveci A et al. The arthroscopical and radiological corelation of lever sign test for the diagnosis of anterior cruciate ligament rupture. Springerplus. 2015 Dec 30;4:830.
- Thapa SS, Lamichhane AP, Mahara DP. Accuracy of Lelli Test For Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear. Journal of Institute of Medicine, August, 2015, 37:2 91-94. [PDF]
- McQuivey KS, Christopher ZK, Chung AS, Makovicka J, Guettler J, Levasseur K. Implementing the Lever Sign in the Emergency Department: Does it Assist in Acute Anterior Cruciate Ligament Rupture Diagnosis? A Pilot Study. J Emerg Med. 2019;57(6):805-811.
the person behind the name