Antonio Palla (1949 – ) is an Italian respiratory and nuclear medicine specialist.
The Palla sign of an association between pulmonary embolism and chest x-ray findings of right descending pulmonary artery enlargement is eponymously named after the description by Antonio Palla.
He is renowned for his work in respiratory diseases, and has published numerous original research papers, particularly on pulmonary embolism and COPD.
- Born 21 July 1949
- 1974 – Graduated with MD degree from the University of Pisa
- 1976 – Specialisation in diseases and physiology of the respiratory system at the University of Pisa
- 1978 – Specialisation in nuclear medicine
- 1980-2001 – Researcher at Servizio di Fisiopatologia Respiratoria, Istituto di Clinica Medica II (Respiratory Physiopathology Service, Institute of Clinical Medicine II), then at Dipartimento Cardio Toracico (cardio-thoracic department) at the University of Pisa
- 2001-11 – Associate Professor of respiratory diseases at the cardio-thoracic department, University of Pisa
- 2008-14 – Director of OU Pulmonology and Respiratory Physiopathology 1st University, Pisan University Hospital
- 2011- present – Professor in the Department of Surgical, Medical, Molecular and Critical Pathology Disciplinary, University of Pisa
- 2014 – present – Director, UOC Pneumology University at Pisan University Hospital
Palla sign (1983)
Right descending pulmonary artery enlargement and ‘sausage-shaped’ appearance as a potential sign of pulmonary embolism on chest XR
- Palla A, Donnamaria V, Petruzzelli S, Rossi G, Riccetti G, Giuntini C. Enlargement of the right descending pulmonary artery in pulmonary embolism. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1983; 141(3): 513-7. [Palla sign]
- Dalla-Volta S, Palla A, Santolicandro A, Giuntini C, Pengo V, Visioli O, Zonzin P, Zanuttini D, Barbaresi F, Agnelli G, et al. PAIMS 2: alteplase combined with heparin versus heparin in the treatment of acute pulmonary embolism. Plasminogen activator Italian multicenter study 2. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1992; 20(3): 520-6.
- Giuntini C, Di Ricco G, Marini C, Melillo E, Palla A. Pulmonary embolism: epidemiology. Chest. 1995; 107(1 Suppl): 3S-9S.
- Marshall GB, Farnquist BA, MacGregor JH, Burrowes PW. Signs in thoracic imaging. J Thorac Imaging. 2006 Mar;21(1):76-90.
- Incarico importante per Palla. Lo pneumologo nominato professore ordinario a Pisa. Il Tirreno. 26 maggio 2011.
- Abbas A, St Joseph EV, Mansour OM, Peebles CR. Radiographic features of pulmonary embolism: Westermark and Palla signs. Postgrad Med J. 2014 Jul;90(1065):422-3.
- Palla A. Curriculum vitae. n.d.
- Palla A. LinkedIn profile.
- Bibliography. Palla, Antonio. WorldCat Identities
- Cadogan M. CXR eponyms in pulmonary embolism. LITFL
the names behind the name