Edward Hallaran Bennett (1837 – 1907) was an Irish Surgeon.
Bennett created and curated a substantial collection of fractures, dislocations, diseases, and bones, which he arranged and catalogued, together with their clinical histories, in the Pathological Museum of Trinity College.
Early adopter surgeons of Lister’s antiseptic technique which he introduced into Dublin.
Eponymously affiliated with the Bennett fracture (1882)
Described as a “model of honour and uprightness, blunt (sometimes emphatically so) and intolerant only of pretence. He was known popularly as ‘the Boss’.“
- Born 9 1837 April Charlotte Quay, Cork
- 1854 – 1859 Medical school Trinity School, Dublin (AB, MB) and first graduate to receive the new degree of MCh
- 1863 – Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland (FRCSI)
- 1864 – Surgeon to Sir Patrick Dun’s Hospital and University Anatomist
- 1873 – succeeded Robert William Smith as Professor of Surgery and Curator of the Pathological Museum, Trinity College
- 1880 – President of the Dublin Pathological Society
- 1884 – President of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland
- 1894-1897 President of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland
- 1902-1905 Surgeon to the Lord Lieutenant, the Earl of Dudley
- Died 21 June 1907, Dublin
- Bennett fracture (1882) – two part intra-articular fracture of the base of the first metacarpal bone.
- Bennett double ring splint – metal splint that slips on the finger and limits hyperextension of the proximal interphalangeal joint.
- The Bennett Medal – (1907) awarded to the Surgical Traveling Prize in the School of Physic, Trinity College. Medallion with Bennett portrait, fractured first metacarpal and inscription ‘Viri in Fractis Ossibus Collocandis Sollertissimi‘
- Bennett EH. Remarks on Colles’ Fracture and on Fractures of the Same Part of the Lower End of the Radius. Br Med J. 1880 May 22;1(1012):759-60. [PMC2240253]
- Bennett EH. Fractures of the metacarpal bones. Dublin J Med Sci 1882;73:72-75
- Bennett EH. An Address Delivered at the Opening of the Section of Surgery. Br Med J. 1885 Aug 1;2(1283):199-200. [PMC2308424]
- Bennett EH. Injuries of the skeleton: Value of the accumulation of specimens. Br Med J 1885;2:199
- Bennett EH. On fracture of the metacarpal bone of the thumb. Br Med J. 1886 Jul 3;2(1331):12-3. [PMC2257374]
- Bennett EH. Report of a Meeting of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland 14 May 1897. Br Med J 1897;1:1479
- Obituary: Edward Hallaran Bennett, M.D, F.R.C.S.I. Br Med J 1907;1:1575. [PMC2358273]
- O’Rahilly R. Edward Hallaran Bennett (1837–1907). Irish Journal of Medical Science. 1948;23(3):127–131.
- Biography: Bennett, Edward Hallaran (1837 – 1907). Plarr’s Lives of the Fellows Online. Royal College of Surgeons of England.
the person behind the name