Francis John Shepherd (1851 – 1929) British/Canadian general surgeon and anatomist.
British by birth and training he emigrated to Canada in 1875 to become Professor of anatomy at McGill University
Pioneered the teaching of dermatology in Canada serving as President of the Canadian branch of the British Dermatological Society (1928)
Eponymously associated with Shepherd Fracture he described in 1882
- Born 25 November 1851
- 1869-1873 Faculty of Medicine, McGill University.
- 1874-1875 St Thomas’s Hospital passed the MRCS; Vienna studying dermatology under von Hebra (1816–1880).
- 1875-1883 Demonstrator of anatomy at McGill University with his friend and contemporary, Sir William Osler.
- 1883-1913 Lecturer then Professor in Anatomy, McGill University
- 1901 – President of the Canadian Medical Association
- 1902 – Chief surgeon at Montreal General Hospital; Professor of Surgery McGill University
- 1905 – Honorary Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh
- 1906-1910 President of the Montreal Art Association
- 1908-1914 Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, McGill University
- Emeritus Dean of Medicine at McGill University
- Died 18 January 1929,
- Shepherd fracture – posterior talar process fracture with injury to the lateral tubercle caused by inversion or extreme equinus
- **Cedell fracture – posterior talar process fracture with injury to the medial tubercle caused by forced dorsiflexion and pronation
- Shepherd FJ. A Hitherto Undescribed Fracture of the Astragalus (talus). J Anat Physiol. 1882 Oct; 17(Pt 1): 79–81. [PMC1310130]
- Shepherd FJ. Excision of the Bones of the Tarsus for Tubercular Disease. Ann Surg. 1886 Oct; 4(4): 293–298. [PMC1430928]
- Shepherd FJ. A Hitherto Undescribed Anomaly of the Lingual Artery. Ann Surg. 1889 May; 9(5): 331–332. [PMC1428198]
- Shepherd FJ. Successful Case of Trephining for Meningeal Hæmorrhage: Ligature of the Carotid. Br Med J. 1896 Apr 11; 1(1841): 905–906. [PMC2406968]
- Shepherd FJ. Biographical Sketch: Sir William Osler. Can Med Assoc J. 1920; 10(Spec Iss): 19–23. [PMC1525036]
- Shepherd FJ. Address on Surgery. Can Med Assoc J. 1915 Sep; 5(9): 757–766. [PMC1584444]
- Shepherd FJ. The Osler Oration. Can Med Assoc J. 1929 Aug; 21(2): 131–137. [PMC1710956]
- McDermot HE. History of Canadian surgery: Francis J. Shepherd. Can J Surg 1957; 1: 5-7
- Howell WB. Francis John Shepherd – surgeon, his life and times 1851-1919. Can Med Assoc J. 1929 Feb; 20(2): 210-212. [PMC1710245]
- Biography: Shepherd, Francis John (1851 – 1929). Plarr’s Lives of the Fellows Online. Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- Eponymythology: Eponymous ankle and talus injuries. LITFL
the person behind the name