- Born 2 June 1914 Redlands, California
- Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago
- 1941 – US Navy with the USS Savo Island as the ship’s flight surgeon
- Alta Bates Hospital, Berkeley
- Died 17 September 2009
- Holstein–Lewis fracture (1963) – a simple spiral fracture of the humerus involving the distal 1/3 of the shaft with the distal bone fragment displaced and the proximal end deviated toward the radial side. Often associated with radial nerve paralysis.
- Holstein A, Lewis GM. Fractures of the humerus with radial-nerve paralysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1963 Oct;45:1382-8. [PMID 14069777]
- Obituary: Gwilym B. Lewis MD. 2009
- Hunter TB, Peltier LF, Lund PJ. Radiologic history exhibit. Musculoskeletal eponyms: who are those guys? RadioGraphics 2000; 20: 819-36.
the person behind the name