Jacob Churg (1910–2005) was a Belarussian/Polish born American practicing pathologist.
Churg was one of the pioneers in the interpretation of kidney biopsies. Developed techniques to enhance the examination and interpretation of renal histology, including electron microscopy.
Churg established the modern standards for the comprehension of many kidney diseases, including lupus nephritis, focal glomerulosclerosis, diabetes mellitus, haemolytic uraemic syndrome, crescentic glomerulonephritis, and amyloidosis.
He studied pulmonary and pleural diseases especially asbestos-related lung disease including mesothelioma and lung cancer, and was an authority on vascular diseases.
- Born on July 16, 1910 in Daŭhinava, Belarus (At various times deemed within Russia, Poland or Belarus)
- 1933 – Graduated Medicine, University of Wilno (Poland)
- 1936 – Political unrest in Europe and emigrated to New York where his uncle (Louis Chargin) was chief physician at the skin clinic, The Mount Sinai Hospital
- 1937 – Commenced work in the bacteriological laboratory, researching the toxicity of various sulphonamides
- 1942 – Pathologist, The Mount Sinai Hospital under Dr. Paul Klemperer
- 1966 – Clinical professor of pathology
- 1988 – John Peters Award, American Society of Nephrology
- Died on July 27, 2005 in New York
Churg–Strauss syndrome (1951)
Now known as Eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (EGPA). EGPA is eosinophil-rich, necrotizing granulomatous inflammation often involving the respiratory tract; with necrotizing vasculitis predominantly affecting small to medium vessels; and associated with asthma and eosinophilia
- Churg J, Strauss L. Allergic Granulomatosis, Allergic Angiitis, and Periarteritis Nodosa. Am J Pathol. 1951;27(2):277–301. [PMC1937314]
- Strauss L, Churg J, Zak FG. Cutaneous lesions of allergic granulomatosis: a histopathologic study. J Invest Dermatol. 1951;17(6):349-359
- Churg J, Sobin LH. Renal Disease: Classification and Atlas of Glomerular Diseases. Igaku-Shoin Medical. 1982
- Churg J, Cotran RS, Sinniah R, Sakaguchi H, Sobin LH. Renal Disease: Classification and Atlas of Tubulo-Interstitial Diseases. Igaku-Shoin Medical. 1985
- Sinniah R, Churg J. Renal Disease: Classification and Atlas of Infectious and Tropical Diseases. Amer Society. 1989
- Churg A, Churg J. Systemic Vasculitides. Igaku-Shoin Medical. 1991
- Churg J, Bernstein J, Glassock RJ. Renal Disease: Classification and Atlas of Glomerular Diseases Igaku-Shoin Medical. 1995
- Grishman E. The man behind the eponym. Dr. Jacob Churg. Am J Dermatopathol. 1986 Aug;8(4):358-9.
- Cotran RS. Fifth annual John Peters award, American Society of Nephrology. Award recipients: Jacob Churg and Conrad Pirani. Kidney Int. 1988 Jul;34(1):121-3.
- Proceedings from the symposium on Progress in Renal Diseases in honor of Dr Jacob Churg’s 75th birthday. New York, New York, May 23rd, 1986. Am J Kidney Dis. 1987 Sep;10(3):155-230.
- Blantz R. Dr. Jacob Churg. International Society of Nephrology – Video Legacy Project. 1997
- de Campos FPF, Geller SA. Churg-Strauss Syndrome: a syndrome described on clinical observation and autopsy findings. Autopsy and Case Reports 2013;3(2):1-4
BA MA (Oxon) MBChB (Edin) FACEM FFSEM. Associate Professor Curtin Medical School, Curtin University. Emergency physician, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. Passion for rugby; medical history; medical education; and asynchronous learning #FOAMed evangelist. Co-founder and CTO of Life in the Fast lane | Eponyms | Books | Twitter |