Lotte Strauss (1913–1985) was a German born, American practicing pathologist.
Strauss was a pioneer in paediatric and perinatal pathology and one of the co-founders of the Society for Pediatric Pathology (1965)
Key areas of interest included ultra structure of the placenta in different foetal disease conditions; intrauterine infections; and vascular diseases. Strauss made valuable contributions to the area of fetal development pathology.
Eponymous affiliation with Churg-Strauss Syndrome (CSS) in 1951. Now known as Eosinophilic Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis (EGPA)
- Born 15 April 1913 Nuremberg, Germany
- 1930 – Commenced medical studies in Germany and completed in Sienna, Italy in 1937
- 1938 – Emigrated to America. Research assistant in bacteriology at the Beth Israel Hospital, New York
- 1940 – Studied with Sydney Farber (1903-1973) a well-known pediatric pathologist, at Children’s Hospital in Boston
- 1941 – Pathologist, The Mount Sinai Hospital under Dr. Paul Klemperer
- 1953 – First pediatric pathologist, The Mount Sinai Hospital
- 1966 – Professor of pathology, The Mount Sinai Hospital and one of the founding faculty at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- 1971 – Special Consultant in Perinatal Pathology to the National Institute of Health.
- 1983 – Jacobi Medallion, Mount Sinai Alumni
- Died 4 July 1985
- Churg–Strauss syndrome (1951) – now known as Eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (EGPA)
- Lotte Strauss Prize (1986 – ) recognizes the meritorious work by an individual 40 years of age or younger in a subject germane to pediatric pathology
- Churg J, Strauss L. Allergic Granulomatosis, Allergic Angiitis, and Periarteritis Nodosa. Am J Pathol. 1951 Apr; 27(2):277–301. [PMC1937314]
- Strauss L, Churg J, Zak FG. Cutaneous lesions of allergic granulomatosis: a histopathologic study. J Invest Dermatol. 1951 Dec ;17(6):349-359. [PMID 14908172]
- de Campos FPF, Geller SA. Churg-Strauss Syndrome: a syndrome described on clinical observation and autopsy findings. Autopsy and Case Reports 2013;3(2):1-4
the person behind the name