A/Prof Andrew Dean, MBBS FACEM Grad Cert Clinical Simulation. Emergency Physician, DEMT and Head of University of Notre Dame Australia Rural Clinical School; St John of God Hospital Ballarat, Victoria Australia.
Still searching for new and innovative teaching methods for emergency medicine education; committed advocate for mindfulness meditation, and the nurturing of emotionally intelligent clinical teams in health care.
Mindfulness and the Emergency Healthcare Professional
- 001: an introduction
- 002: the terminology of stress
- 003: Airway, Breathing…
- 004: sure, but does it work?
- 005: down the rabbit hole
- 006: tools for transitions
- 007: it’s all in your imagination
- 008: signal to Noise
- 009: waiting to arise
- 010: the mechanics of mindfulness
- 011: ocean explorations
- 012: teacher training
- 013: the right frame
- 014: COVID stillness
- 015: mindfulness, then and now
- 016: mindfulness 102
- 017: reframing 102
- 018: expansion
- Dean A. Moving Light: Meditation Journeys. Balboa Press AU 2017
- Website: Andrew Dean Books
Alphabetical list of references and readings from the mindfulness series
- Ehrmann M. Desiderata. 1927
- Hạnh TN. The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation. Boston, MA: Beacon Press; 1975. 2e 1996
- Ingram DM. Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha: An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book – Revised and Expanded Edition. Aeon Books 2018 [Publisher PDF]
- Kabat-Zinn, J. Wherever you go, there you are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life. Hachette Books, 2005
- Langstroth LL. Langstroth on the hive and the honey-bee, a bee-keeper’s manual. 1852
- Wolf C, Serpa LG. A Clinician’s Guide to Teaching Mindfulness. New Harbinger Publications. 2015
Websites and resources
- Headspace: With one mission, to improve the health and happiness of the world
- Smiling Mind: a non-for-profit web and app-based meditation program
- Treat App: A free mindfulness app from the Alfred Hospital
- WRaP EM is a group of ordinary but passionate clinicians and medical educators who want to promote the concepts of Wellness, Resilience and Performance
- Black DS, Slavich GM. Mindfulness meditation and the immune system: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2016 Jun;1373(1):13-24.
- Brunner D, Abramovitch A, Etherton J. A yoga program for cognitive enhancement. PLoS One. 2017 Aug 4;12(8):e0182366
- Burnett R, Cullen C. Research – Mindfulness in Schools Project. 2010 to date
- Fuentes JJ, Fonseca F, Elices M, Farré M, Torrens M. Therapeutic Use of LSD in Psychiatry: A Systematic Review of Randomized-Controlled Clinical Trials. Front Psychiatry. 2020 Jan 21;10:943.
- Goyal M et al. Meditation programs for psychological stress and well-being: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Mar;174(3):357-68.
- Hassed C. The art of introducing mindfulness into medical and allied health curricula. Mindfulness, 2021; 12(8): 1909-1919.
- Kabat-Zinn J. Some reflections on the origins of MBSR, skillful means, and the trouble with maps, Contemporary Buddhism, 2011; 12(1): 281-306
- Kuyken W, Weare K, Ukoumunne OC, Vicary R, Motton N, Burnett R, Cullen C, Hennelly S, Huppert F. Effectiveness of the Mindfulness in Schools Programme: non-randomised controlled feasibility study. Br J Psychiatry. 2013 Aug;203(2):126-31.
- McEwen S. Meditation & Mindfulness for Stress Reduction. Pacific Neuroscience Institute. 2020
- Wong WP, Hassed C, Chambers R, Coles J. The Effects of Mindfulness on Persons with Mild Cognitive Impairment: Protocol for a Mixed-Methods Longitudinal Study. Front Aging Neurosci. 2016 Jun 28;8:156.
- Wong WP, Coles J, Chambers R, Wu DB, Hassed C. The Effects of Mindfulness on Older Adults with Mild Cognitive Impairment. J Alzheimers Dis Rep. 2017 Dec 2;1(1):181-193.
Cite this article as: Andrew Dean, "Mindfulness," In: LITFL - Life in the FastLane, Accessed on June 8, 2023, https://litfl.com/mindfulness/.