Niels Lauge-Hansen (1899 – 1976) was a Danish Radiologist.
Lauge-Hansen (published as Lauge N.) wrote a definitive review of ankle fractures – ‘an analytic historic survey as the basis of new experimental, roentgenologic and clinical investigations‘ 2 years before his classification publication. [Arch Surg. 1948 Mar;56(3):259-317.]
Eponymously linked with the Lauge-Hansen classification of ankle fractures
- Born 1899
- Worked primarily at the Central Hospital, Randers, Denmark.
- 1942 – published his thesis ‘Genetisk Diagnose og Reposition’
- 1948 – published ‘Ankle fractures 1: the analytical historical survey’, providing a history of ankle fracture management since Hippocrates, forming the basis of his work.
- 1950 – used fresh cadaveric lower limb amputations, fixed with a vice and nails, to observe a spectrum of ankle injuries. These were demonstrated in force produced by hand to the hindfoot, and formed the basis of his publication ‘Ankle fractures 2: the combined experimental-surgical and experimental roentgenologic investigation’.
- 1952 – described how to perform closed ankle fracture reduction, based on reversal of injury mechanism, published in ‘Ankle fractures 4: clinical use of genetic roentgenologic diagnosis and genetic reduction’.
- 1954 – applied previous work to describe his radiographic classification and effect of rotational ankle force on interosseous clear space and mortise, publishing ‘Ankle fractures 3: the genetic roentgenologic diagnosis of fractures of the ankle’.
- 1959-1961 Worked in Seoul (South Korea), honorary member of the Korean Radiology Association
- Died in 1976.
Key Medical Attributions
Lauge-Hansen’s research was ground-breaking at its time of publication:
- Injury spectrum provides clinicians with high index of suspicion for easily missed additional injuries on radiographs
- Radiographic findings allowed surgeons to predict concurrent soft tissue injuries
- Provided basis of closed fracture reduction and immobilisation in an era predation modern surgical fixation
Recent research using up to date experimental techniques, has failed to consistently reproduce Lauge-Hansen’s initial findings, questioning the reliability of his classification system. However, the value of his classification when considering concurrent soft tissue injuries, alongside fractures, remains in high regard.
- Lauge N. Fractures of the ankle; analytic historic survey as the basis of new experimental, roentgenologic and clinical investigations. Arch Surg. 1948 Mar;56(3):259-317. [PMID 18874737]
- Lauge-Hansen N. Ligamentous ankle fractures; diagnosis and treatment. Acta Chir Scand. 1949 Mar 23;97(6):544-50. [PMID 18129346]
- Lauge-Hansen N. Fractures of the ankle. II. Combined experimental-surgical and experimental-roentgenologic investigations. Arch Surg. 1950 May;60(5):957-85.[PMID 15411319]
- Lauge-Hansen N. Fractures of the ankle. III. Genetic roentgenologic diagnosis of fractures of the ankle. Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med. 1954 Mar;71(3):456-71.[PMID 13124631]
- Lauge-Hansen N. Fractures of the ankle. IV. Clinical use of genetic roentgen diagnosis and genetic reduction. AMA Arch Surg. 1952 Apr;64(4):488-500. [PMID 14902249]
- Lauge-Hansen N. Fractures of the ankle. V. Pronation-dorsiflexion fracture. AMA Arch Surg. 1953 Dec;67(6):813-20. [PMID 13103952]
- Lauge-Hansen N. Early roentgen diagnosis of spastic contraction ring in the uterus (Bandl’s ring) during labor and roentgenographic demonstration of the subcutaneous fat deposits of the fetus (the fat line) and of the placenta. Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med. 1955 Aug;74(2):315-22. [PMID 13238667]
- Lauge-Hansen N. The Development and the Embryonic Anatomy of the Human Gastro-Intestinal Tract: a New Basis for the Study of Anomalies of the Gastro-Intestinal Tract. Eindhoven: Centrex Publishing Company, 1960
- Kwon JY, Gitajn IL, Walton P, Miller TJ, Appleton P, Rodriguez EK. A cadaver study revisiting the original methodology of Lauge-Hansen and a commentary on modern usage. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015;97:604-9. [PMID 25834086]
- Shariff SS, Nathwani DK. Lauge-Hansen classification – a literature review. Injury. 2006;37(9):888-890. [PMID 16899246]
- Michelson J, Solocoff D, Waldman B, Kendell K, Ahn U. Ankle fractures: The Lauge-Hansen classification revisited. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1997;(345):198-205. [PMID 9418641]
the person behind the name