- the establishment of enteral feeding is considered an important goal
- calculation of daily energy requirement (Harris-Benedict Equation)
- assessment of nutritional state
- how much is being absorbed?
- quantify aspirate volumes
- bowel motions or flatus being passed
- how many days has patient being not been fed adequately?
- why is patient not absorbing?
-> N/G in correct position
-> intra-abdominal pathology
-> interruptions of feed for procedures/OT
-> gastric paresis
-> peristalsis present
-> electrolyte abnormalities
- treat cause of intolerance
- feeding protocol
- educate staff
- reduce times when not feeding
- improve motility (reduce narcotics and anti-cholinergics, add prokinetics)
- consider post-pyloric feeding
- consider TPN
- re-assess Q12 hrly