As promised in SMACCGOLD IS ALL THE RAGE here is RAGE Session Four – ‘The smaccGOLD edition‘ of the RAGE podcast.
This podcast represents the first time all the RAGE podcasters have been together in person. In addition to the RAGE team we had a bunch of friends helping us out (From left to right:):
- Rich Levitan (@airwaycam)
- Scott Weingart (@emcrit)
- Haney Mallemat (@CriticalCareNow)
- Michaela Cartner (@mjcartner)
- Karel Habig (@karelhabig)
- Chris Nickson (@precordialthump)
- John Hinds (@docjohnhinds)
- Cliff Reid (@cliffreid)
- Mark Wilson (@markhwilson)
Unfortunately, missing from the photo is my great friend and SMACC co-conspirator Oli Flower (@oliflower). Also, the third founder of SMACC, the ‘SMACC Big Cheese’ Roger Harris (@RogerRDHarris) wasn’t included because we’d just have to bleep out everything he’d say anyway… Sorry Rog!
The audio quality is a tad marginal in places, but that’s what you get with an impromptu recording of 10 slightly manic people in a room with one mic. All the same, we hope it is an engaging audio experience and gives a good insight into the SMACC experience and what to look out for as the talks are released online. Thanks to Haney for helping me get this audio into the best shape possible.
- Podcast | Play in new window
- Podcast | Download (Duration: 34:30 — 31.7MB)
- Subscribe| Apple Podcasts | Android | RSS
This is ’17 minutes’, the amazing video by Tamara Hills and family mentioned in the podcast (nearly 7,000 views and counting):
Other accounts of smaccGOLD (based on a list originally made by Alan Batt), check out:
- smaccGOLD transcript on symplur.com
- smaccGOLD analytics on symplur.com
- Lessons learned from smaccGOLD – “Bye-bye dogma, hello best practice!” – Alan Batt from PrehospitalREsearch.eu
- You gotta have love – Tim Leeuwenburg from KI Docs
- Friendship, Motivation and Altruism @ smaccGOLD – Rob Rogers from iTeachEM
- smaccGOLD: Lessons from Down Under – Eve Purdy from Manu et Corde
- #SMACCGOLD – It hurts … – Damien Roland from The Rolobot Rambles
- smaccGOLD from the Student Paramedic’s Eyes – Jess from Prehospital Research
- Pure Gold – the SMACC Experience – Penny Wilson from Nomadic GP
- The End is just the Beginning – me on Life in the Fastlane
- Social Media and Critical Care – Salim Rezie from R.E.B.E.L EM
- SMACCGOLD – Punk Rock, Paeds, Palliation and People – Jesse Spurr from Injectable Orange
- Who’s That Girl? Impostor Syndrome at #SMACCGold – Natalie May at StEmlyns
- (Yet more) reflections on SMACC gold – Andy from Emergency Medicine Ireland
Thanks again for listening to the RAGE!
Chris is an Intensivist and ECMO specialist at the Alfred ICU in Melbourne. He is also the Innovation Lead for the Australian Centre for Health Innovation at Alfred Health, a Clinical Adjunct Associate Professor at Monash University, and the Chair of the Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society (ANZICS) Education Committee. He is a co-founder of the Australia and New Zealand Clinician Educator Network (ANZCEN) and is the Lead for the ANZCEN Clinician Educator Incubator programme. He is on the Board of Directors for the Intensive Care Foundation and is a First Part Examiner for the College of Intensive Care Medicine. He is an internationally recognised Clinician Educator with a passion for helping clinicians learn and for improving the clinical performance of individuals and collectives.
After finishing his medical degree at the University of Auckland, he continued post-graduate training in New Zealand as well as Australia’s Northern Territory, Perth and Melbourne. He has completed fellowship training in both intensive care medicine and emergency medicine, as well as post-graduate training in biochemistry, clinical toxicology, clinical epidemiology, and health professional education.
He is actively involved in in using translational simulation to improve patient care and the design of processes and systems at Alfred Health. He coordinates the Alfred ICU’s education and simulation programmes and runs the unit’s education website, INTENSIVE. He created the ‘Critically Ill Airway’ course and teaches on numerous courses around the world. He is one of the founders of the FOAM movement (Free Open-Access Medical education) and is co-creator of LITFL.com, the RAGE podcast, the Resuscitology course, and the SMACC conference.
His one great achievement is being the father of two amazing children.
On Twitter, he is @precordialthump.