Richard F. Ashman (1890-1970) was an American physiologist.
Ashman published innovative works in the development of clinical electrocardiography, heart muscle conduction, and pulse wave velocity. Hallmark publication, Essentials of Electrocardiography (1937) with Edgar Hull, in the development of clinical electrocardiography.
Eponymously affiliated with Ashman phenomenon he first described in 1947
He was a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science; and member of the American Physiological Society, and Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine.
Ashman was also a Poet, publishing in various magazines such as the Prairie Schooner, and helped establish The New Orleans Poetry Journal in the 1950’s
- Born August 13, 1890 Philipsburg, Pennsylvania, USA
- 1915 – Bachelor of Literature, Rutgers College of New Jersey
- 1916-17 Assistant in zoology, Rutgers College
- 1917-18 Assistant in Physiology, University of Illinois
- 1918-24 Relocated to New Orleans, and was an Instructor at Tulane University
- 1920 – Master of Arts, Tulane University
- 1924-30 Assistant Professor of Physiology, Tulane University
- 1925 – Ph.D in Physiology, Tulane University
- 1930-31 Assistant Professor of Physiology, Vanderbilt University
- 1931 – Hired as a faculty member in the Department of Physiology, Louisiana State University (LSU)
- 1932 -Appointed Head of the Department of Physiology, LSU School of Medicine
- 1932 – Director of theHeart Station, Charity Hospital
- 1951 – Retired, and went on to publish The New Orleans Poetry Journal
- Died February 28, 1970 in New Orleans, Louisiana
- Ashman phenomenon (1947) aberrant ventricular conducted beats, usually of RBBB morphology, secondary to a long refractory period as determined by the preceding R-R interval.
- Richard Ashman, PhD Professorship established at LSU in 1993, funded by the Alumni Association
- Hull E, Ashman R. Essentials of Electrocardiography: For the Student and Practitioner of Medicine. 1937
- Ashman R. The normal duration of the Q-T interval. American Heart Journal. 1942; 23(4): 522-534.
- Byer E, Ashman R, Toth LA. Electrocardiograms with large, upright T waves and long Q-T intervals. American Heart Journal. 1947; 33(6):796-806. [PMID: 20242366]
- Gouaux JL. Ashman R. Auricular fibrillation with aberration simulating ventricular paroxysmal tachycardia. American Heart Journal. 1947; 34(3): 366-73. [PMID 20262631] [Ashman phenomenon]
- Hyman A, Failey RB, Ashman R. Can the longitudinal anatomical axis of the ventricles be estimated from the electrocardiogram? Am Heart J. 1948 Dec;36(6):906-10. [PMID 18893574]
- Ashman R. The Hog Caller. Prairie Schooner 1954;28(4):331
- Klein RC, Harkin VB. A History of LSU School of Medicine New Orleans. 2010
- Dr Richard Ashman memorial
the person behind the name