Roger’s murmur describes a loud holosystolic murmur of a ventricular septal defect.
The murmur is best demonstrated at the left upper sternal border, accompanied by a harsh thrill, and compared to the sound of a ‘rushing waterfall’. The smaller the ventricular septal defect, the greater the turbulence of flow and the louder the murmur.
History of Roger’s murmur
1879 – Roger provided the first clinicopathological overview, through the correlation of his autopsy findings of interventricular defects with the murmurs previously documented in patients’ records. His description of the murmur:
… a murmur loud and long; it is single, begins at systole and is prolonged so as to hide the natural tic-tac; it has its maximum… in the upper third of the precardial region; it is median, like the septum itselfRoger 1879
The interventricular defects described by Roger:
A developmental defect of the heart occurs from which cyanosis does not ensue in spite of the fact that a communication exists between the cavities of the two ventricles…This congenital defect… comprises a defect in the interventricular septum
…in the upper portion of the interventricular septum beneath the mitral valve is an orifice which establishes a communication between the two ventricles; one of the most frequent (defects) which I have encountered… is the communication between the two ventriclesRoger 1879
- Henri-Louis Roger (1809 – 1891)
- Bruit de Roger
- Roger’s murmur of ventricular septal defect
- Murmur of Roger’s disease
- Murmur of maladie de Roger
- Roger H. Recherches cliniques sur la communication congenitale des deux coeurs, par inocclusion du septum interventriculaire. Bulletin de l’Academie de Medecine, 1879; VIII: 1074-94, 1189-1191.
Eponymous term articles
- Paraskevas G. What is the history of the first descriptions of the ventricular septal defects? Int J Cardiol. 2016 Oct 1;220:616-7.
- Ma I, Tierney LM. Name that murmur–eponyms for the astute auscultician. N Engl J Med. 2010; 363(22): 2164-8.
- Robbins A, Zhang G. Name that murmur. LITFL 2019
the names behind the name