Welcome to the 2nd edition of Research and Reviews in the Fastlane. R&R in the Fastlane is a free resource that harnesses the power of social media to allow some of the best and brightest emergency medicine and critical care clinicians from all over the world tell us what they think is worth reading from the published literature.
This edition contains 10 recommended reads. The R&R Editorial Team includes Jeremy Fried, Nudrat Rashid, Soren Rudolph, Anand Swaminathan and, of course, Chris Nickson. Find more R&R in the Fastlane reviews in the : Overview; Archives and Contributors
This Edition’s R&R Hall of Famer
Spielmans GI, Parry GI. From Evidence-based Medicine to Marketing-based Medicine: Evidence form Internal Industry Documents. J Bioethical Inquiry, 2010 March;7:13-29. [Full Text PDF]
- Must-read article with amazing quotes from drug company e-mails and PowerPoint presentations
- Recommended by:Leon Gussow
Sterns RH, Rojas M, Bernstein P, Chennupati S. Ion-exchange resins for the treatment of hyperkalemia: are they safe and effective? J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010 May;21(5):733-5. Epub 2010 Feb 18. PMID: 20167700 – [Full Text]
- “I’ve been looking for 1 paper to give the gen med folks to get them to understand why we no longer believe in exchange resins to treat Hyper-K. I have found the paper! It is a review article that embraces all of the data -and only 3 pages long.” -Scott Weingart
- Recommended by: SDW, CPN
- Learn more: EMCrit – Hyperkalemia and Is kayexalate useless?
Darshane S, Ali M, Dhandapani S, Charters P. Validation of graded difficulty in Laerdal SimMan: functional comparisons between Macintosh, Truview EVO2, Glidescope Video Laryngoscope and Airtraq. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2011 Mar;28(3):175-80. PMID: 21088593.
- Choose your weapon: which video laryngoscope should your department buy?
- Recommended by: OJF
Marik PE, Rivera R. Hypertensive emergencies: an update. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2011 Dec;17(6):569-80. PMID: 21986463.
- Patients with true hypertensive emergencies are often mismanaged. Solid review with helpful pearls and pitfalls.
- Recommended by: SL
Walley KR. Use of central venous oxygen saturation to guide therapy. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011 Sep 1;184(5):514-20. Review. PMID: 21177882.
- How to use that ScVO2 for fun and profit!
- Recommended by: MJ
Weisberg LS. Management of severe hyperkalemia. Crit Care Med. 2008 Dec;36(12):3246-51. Review. PMID: 18936701.
- An excellent concise overview of the management of severe hyperkalemia: it highlights the poor efficacy and dangers of calcium resonium, shows that not everyone responds to beta2-agonists, emphasizes the unpredictability of the cardiovascular manifestations and is packed with evidence-based pearls.
- Recommended by: CPN
- Learn more: EMCrit –Hyperkalemia and Is kayexalate useless?
Chernyshev OY, Martin-Schild S, Albright KC, Barreto A, Misra V, Acosta I, Grotta JC, Savitz SI. Safety of tPA in stroke mimics and neuroimaging-negative cerebral ischemia. Neurology. 2010 Apr 27;74(17):1340-5. Epub 2010 Mar 24. PMID: 20335564; PMCID: PMC2875935.
- Not great research but highlights the mess over what a neuroimaging negative stroke might or might not mean
- Recommended by: AJN
- Learn more: Emergency Medicine Ireland – Neuroimaging Negative Stroke -Making an ASS of U and ME
Jones EM, Albright KC, Fossati-Bellani M, Siegler JE, Martin-Schild S. Emergency department shift change is associated with pneumonia in patients with acute ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2011 Nov;42(11):3226-30. Epub 2011 Sep 8. PMID: 21903956.
- We need to get stroke patients out of the Emergency Department up to units dedicated to their care.
- Recommended by: RPR
- Learn more: Emergency Medicine Literature of Note – ED Nursing Hand-offs & Stroke Outcomes
Karaduman S, Yürüktümen A, Güryay SM, Bengi F, Fowler JR Jr. Modified hair apposition technique as the primary closure method for scalp lacerations. Am J Emerg Med. 2009 Nov;27(9):1050-5. PMID: 19931749.
- Use the hair as sutures and glue to hold them in place. I’ve even done this in a kitchen with standard superglue and it worked great.
- Recommended by: AJN
- Learn more: Academic Life in EM – Trick of the Trade: Hair Apposition Technique (HAT trick)
Osterholm MT, Kelley NS, Sommer A, Belongia EA. Efficacy and effectiveness of influenza vaccines: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2011 Oct 25. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22032844.
- Anyone sick of influenza yet? Here’s how good vaccines are at stopping the virus in its tracks.
- Recommended by: RBO