- Born 10 March 1838, Dublin.
- 1863 – MD, Dublin University
- 1864 – Surgeon to the Meath Hospital, Dublin
- 1871 – Professor of surgery, Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland
- 1886-1887 President of the Royal College of Surgeons
- 1892 – Surgeon in ordinary to Queen Victoria
- 1900 – Consulting surgeon to the British forces in South Africa, Boer war.
- Died 18 August 1900 in Pietermaritzburg of pleurisy. Buried in the military cemetery at Fort Napier, Natal
- Stokes W. Address in Surgery. Churchill. 1882
- Stokes W. William Stokes, his life and work (1804-1878). London: Unwin. 1898
- Sir William Stokes. The Cyclopedic review of current history. 1900;10(8):780
the person behind the name