- Born 10 March 1838, Dublin.
- 1863 – MD, Dublin University
- 1864 – Surgeon to the Meath Hospital, Dublin
- 1871 – Professor of surgery, Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland
- 1886-1887 President of the Royal College of Surgeons
- 1892 – Surgeon in ordinary to Queen Victoria
- 1900 – Consulting surgeon to the British forces in South Africa, Boer war.
- Died 18 August 1900 in Pietermaritzburg of pleurisy. Buried in the military cemetery at Fort Napier, Natal
- Stokes W. Address in Surgery. Churchill. 1882
- Stokes W. William Stokes, his life and work (1804-1878). London: Unwin. 1898
- Sir William Stokes. The Cyclopedic review of current history. 1900;10(8):780
the person behind the name
Dr Ronan McKenna, MB BCh BAO at National University of Ireland Galway. Living in Australia with plans for a future in Emergency Medicine. A keen interest in Medical History, Wilderness Medicine and Sport.
Associate Professor Curtin Medical School, Curtin University. Emergency physician MA (Oxon) MBChB (Edin) FACEM FFSEM Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. Passion for rugby; medical history; medical education; and asynchronous learning #FOAMed evangelist. Co-founder and CTO of Life in the Fast lane | Eponyms | Books | Twitter |