- check each bed space
- colour coding
- sleeve index system
- in a level 3 unit: 3 O2, 2 air and 3 suction outlets
- correct gas for outlet
- purity of gas
- check oxygen concentrations at all outlets (this will distinguish between O2, air and other gases)
- sniff test for objectionable odours at medical air outlets only
- if a non-respirable gas present -> testing should be performed by an anaesthetist
Flow rate and Pressure
- using a device that fits the outlet (pressure manometer, variable flow restrictor and a flow meter)
- air and O2: static pressure 415kPa, then set flow rate to 40L/min -> change in pressure should be less than 10kPa
- suction: static pressure -60kPa -> change flow rate to 40L/min -> change in pressure should be less than 15kPa.
Testing of Alarms
- turn off the isolating valve for each supplied gas in turn -> ensure that visible and audible alarms activate.