William Dock (1898 – 1990) was an American cardiologist.
In the 1940’s he cautioned that high-fat diets could lead to atherosclerosis. Dock introduced ‘bed to chair‘ movement within the first 48 hours of acute myocardial infarct in the 1930’s.
Popularised ‘Sutton’s Law‘ (Dock’s Law) – if ‘the money‘ resides in a specific diagnostic test, then that test should be conducted immediately instead of several steps into a general algorithm
‘William Dock – an irascible visionary whose prophetic warnings bucked convention...’
- Born 1898 Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1923 – Rush Medical College in Chicago
- Croix de Guerre for his service (volunteer ambulance driver) in France during World War I
- Professor of Pathology at Stanford
- Professor of Pathology at Cornell
- Died October 17, 1990
Key Medical Attributions
- Aware of the thromboembolic complications caused by prolonged bed rest he recommended early ambulation. At a symposium at Cornell, he presented the topic “The abuse of bed rest”.
- Extensive work on atherosclerosis, diet and the ageing heart.
“Go to the patient, because that’s where the diagnosis is.“
- Dock W. Mode of production of the first heart sound. Arch lntern MedS I, 1933; 737-746
- Dock W. The eviil sequelqae of complete bed rest. JAMA. 1944;125(16):1083-1085
- Dock W. Presbycardia, or aging of the myocardium. NY State J Med 1945 45,983-986
- Dock W. The mechanism and management of circulatory failure. Bull N Y Acad Med. 1951 Nov;27(11):645-52. [PMC1930129]
- Dock W. Hypercholesteremia; its clinical significance and management. Med Clin North Am. 1952 May;36(3):865-74. [PMID 14928861]
- Dock W, Zoneraich S. A diastolic murmur arising in a stenosed coronary artery. Am J Med. 1967 Apr;42(4):617-9. [PMID 6023006]
- Dock W. Atherosclerosis: the facts and the mysteries. Bull N Y Acad Med. 1967 Sep;43(9):792-7. [PMC1806766]
- Dock W. Proteinuria: the story of 280 years of trials, errors, and rectifications. Bull N Y Acad Med. 1974 Jun;50(6):659-66.[PMC1749399]
- Sangster JF, Oakley CM. Diastolic murmur of coronary artery stenosis. Br Heart J. 1973 Aug; 35(8): 840–844. [PMC458712]
- Weisse AB. William Dock, M.D. Hosp Pract (Off Ed). 1987 Aug 15;22(8):43-5, 49, 52-6 passim. [PMID 3114279]
- Zoneraich S. The legacy of William dock, a giant of American cardiology. Clin. Cardiol. 1994; 17,95-97 [PDF]
- Rytand DA. Sutton’s or Dock’s law? N Engl J Med. 1980 Apr 24;302(17):972. [PMID 6987522]
- Altman LK. A Law Named for Willie Sutton Assists Physician. The New York Times. Jan 3 1970
- Cheng O. William Dock, Willie Sutton and Sutton’s Law. Int J Cardiol. 2010 Jun 11;141(3):209-13 [PMID 20064670]
- Fowler G. Dr. William Dock, 91, innovator who questioned medical beliefs. New York Times. October 23, 1990.
- Portrait: https://collections.nlm.nih.gov/catalog/nlm:nlmuid-101413766-img [NLM 101413766]
the person behind the name