Austin Talley Moore (1899–1963) was an American orthopedic surgeon.
Austin Moore was a pioneer in the use of the femoral-head prosthesis and Vitallium
On September 28, 1940 Austin Moore and Harold Ray Bohlman (1893–1979) published an early report on metallic hip replacement in a patient. They introduced the process of fixing the femoral head to a stem that would fit the proximal femur medullary canal.
- Born 21 June 1899 Ridgeway, South Carolina
- 1924 – Graduated, Medical College of South Carolina
- 1924 – Intern, Columbia Hospital
- 1925-1927 University of Pennsylvania with Professor A. Bruce Gill
- 1927 – Orthopedic surgeon, Columbia Hospital
- 1928 – Founded the Moore Orthopedic Clinic
- Died 1963
- Austin Moore Hip Prosthesis (1942)
- Marius Nygaard Smith-Petersen (1886-1953) [Smith-Petersen mould arthroplasty, 1923]
- Austin Talley Moore (1899–1963) [Austin Moore hip prosthesis, 1942]
- Frederick Roeck Thompson (1907–1983) [Thompson Vitallium Hip Prosthesis, 1950]
- John Charnley (1911-1982) [Moore hip prosthesis, 1950]
- Moore AT, Bohlman HR. Metal hip joint. A case report. J Bone Joint Surg 1943; 25: 688 [PMID 6342894]
- Moore AT. Progress in orthopedic surgery–metal joints. South Med Surg. 1951 Oct;113(10):326-7.
- Moore AT. Metal hip joint; a new self-locking vitallium prosthesis. South Med J. 1952 Nov;45(11):1015-19
- Moore AT. The self-locking metal hip prosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1957 Jul;39-A(4):811-27.
- Mostofi SB. Who’s Who in Orthopedics. Springer; 2005: 238
- Chillag KJ. Giants of Orthopaedic Surgery: Austin T. Moore MD. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016 Dec; 474(12): 2606–2610.
- Stinchfield FE, Cooperman B. Replacement of the femoral head by Judet or Austin Moore prosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1957 Oct;39-A(5):1043-58
- Hernigou P, Quiennec S, Guissou I. Hip hemiarthroplasty: from Venable and Bohlman to Moore and Thompson. Int Orthop. 2014 Mar; 38(3): 655–661.
- Parcells B. History of THA. Hip & Knee Book. 2017
the person behind the name