Bernhard Georg Weber (1927 – 2002) was a Swiss surgeon.
Published extensively on many topics, including books on pseudoarthrosis, external fixators, and treatment of fractures in children. Eponymously affilaited with the Danis-Weber ankle fracture classification
Danis-Weber classification system was first described by Robert Danis in 1949 and later modified and popularised by Bernhard Georg Weber in 1972, 10 years after Danis’ death. This simple ankle fracture classification system is more commonly called the Weber ankle fracture classification.
- Born in Switzerland 1927
- Medical training at Zürich Balgrist Hospital
- 1959 – Oberarzt (senior surgeon) under Maurice E. Müller at St. Gallen, Switzerland
- 1967 – Chefarzt of Orthopaedics and Trauma at St. Gallen, Switzerland
- Procalimed the “Minimax” slogan (maximum stability with a minimal approach) for minimally invasive hip surgery
- 1986 – Entered private practice
- 2000 – Honorary trustee of the AO Foundation
- Died of heart failure aged 75 in 2002
Danis-Weber ankle fracture classification (Danis 1949; Weber 1972)
The Danis-Weber classification is a method of describing ankle fractures. It has three categories, based primarily upon the fracture of the fibula. The Danis-Weber classification system was first described by Robert Danis in 1949 and later modified and popularised by Weber in 1972, 10 years after Danis’ death.
This simple ankle fracture classification system is more commonly called the Weber ankle fracture classification. It has three categories, based primarily upon the fracture of the fibula.
- Suessenbach F, Weber BG. Epiphysenfugenverletzungen am distalen Unterschenkel Erfahrungen mit 41 operativ u. 12 konservativ behandelten Fällen. 1970
- Weber BG. Aktuelle Probleme in der Chirurgie. Band 3. Die Verletzungen des oberen Sprunggelenkes [The injuries of the upper ankle] 2e, 1972
- Weber BG, Čech O. Pseudarthrosen: Pathophysiologie, Biomechanik, Therapie, Ergebnisse 1973 [Pseudarthrosis : pathophysiology, biomechanics, therapy, results, 1976]
- Weber BG. Epiphysenfugenverletzungen am distalen Unterschenkel (Epiphysis joint injuries on the distal lower limb) Sondereinband – 1970
- Weber BG, Brunner CF, Freuler F. Die Frakturenbehandlung bei Kindern und Jugendlichen [Treatment of fractures in children and adolescents] 1978
- Brunner CF, Weber BG. Special techniques in internal fixation. 1982
- Weber BG, Magerl F, Brunner CF. The external fixator : AO/ASIF-threaded rod system, spine-fixator. 1985
- Weber BG, Magerl F. Fixateur externe. 1985
- Mostofi SB. Bernhard Georg Weber. in: Who’s Who in Orthopedics. 2005; 355-356
- Bibliography. Weber, B. G. (Bernhard Georg). WorldCat Identities
- Bugler KE, White TO, Thordarson DB. Focus on Ankle Fractures. JBJS. 2012. 94:1107-1112
- Cadogan M. Eponymous Foot, ankle and talus injuries. LITFL
the person behind the name