Hepatic venous outflow obstruction
1845 – Budd references Lambron in 1842 to be the first to describe inflammation of the portal vein secondary to mechanical obstruction [p136 1845]. Within the same section IV of ‘On diseases of the liver‘ Budd discusses in depth hepatic venous thrombosis associated with hepatomegaly, a collateral circulation, and ascites.
1899 – The syndrome was re-described with further clinical and pathological observations by H Chiari and is now referred to as the Budd-Chiari syndrome
- Brancatelli G, Vilgrain V, Federle MP, Hakime A, Lagalla R, Iannaccone R, Valla D. Budd-Chiari syndrome: spectrum of imaging findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007 Feb;188(2):W168-76 [PMID 17242224]
- Torabi M, Hosseinzadeh K, Federle MP. CT of nonneoplastic hepatic vascular and perfusion disorders. Radiographics. 2008 Nov-Dec;28(7):1967-82[PMID 19001652]
- Cook GC. George Budd FRS (1808-1882): pioneer gastroenterologist and hepatologist. J Med Biogr. 1988 Aug;6(3):152-9 [PMID 11620443]
- Tubbs RS, Cohen-Gadol AA. Hans Chiari (1851-1916). J Neurol. 2010 Jul;257(7):1218-20 [PMID 20339863]
- Loukas M, Noordeh N, Shoja MM, Pugh J, Oakes WJ, Tubbs RS. Hans Chiari (1851-1916). Childs Nerv Syst. 2008 Mar;24(3):407-9. [PMID 18066558]