Hans Chiari (1851-1916) was an Austrian pathologist.
He made important contributions in endocrinology, cardiology and neurology and became known for his teaching skills as a Professor in Prague.
- Born 4 September 1851 Vienna, Austria, into a family of physicians.
- Studied medicine in Vienna and worked as an assistant at the Vienna Institute of Pathology
- Graduated 1875
- Appointed Professor Extraordinarius at the German University in Prague, 1882
- Died 6 May 1916 Strassburg following a throat infection
- Budd–Chiari syndrome (1899) Hepatic venous outflow obstruction causing portal hypertension
- Arnold–Chiari malformation (1891, 1894, 1896) – descent of the cerebellar tonsils and vermis, medulla and pons, with associated elongation and displacement of the fourth ventricle. Frequently occurs with hydrocephalus and also associate with myelomeningocele. Chiari credited others in his writing regarding the type 2 malformation – namely John Cleland and Julius Arnold, the former of whom had briefly described similar pot-mortem findings in a child in 1883.
- Chiari malformations – abnormalities of the brain stem and cerebellum identified by Chiari on post-mortems. Type 1 (1891) – peg-like elongation of the cerebellar tonsils into the spinal canal through the foramen magnum; Type 2 aka Arnold Chiari malformation and Type 3 and 4.
- Chiari network – mobile net-like connections between the valve of the coronary sinus and the valve of the inferior vena cava. An anatomical variant, usually of no clinical significance.
- Chiari H. Die pathologische Anatomie im 19. Jahrhundert und ihr Einfluss auf die äussere Medizin. [Pathological anatomy in the 19th century and its influence on external medicine] 1900
- Chiari H. Pathologisch-anatomische Sektionstechnik [Pathological-anatomical section technique] 1907
- Chiari H. Ueber Veränderungen des Kleinhirns infolge von Hydrocephalie des Grosshirns. Deutsche medizinische Wochenschrift 1891;17(42): 1172–1175 [Chiari malformations type 1 and type 2 aka Arnold–Chiari malformation]
- Tubbs RS, Cohen-Gadol AA. Hans Chiari (1851-1916). J Neurol. 2010 Jul;257(7):1218-20
- Loukas M, Noordeh N, Shoja MM, Pugh J, Oakes WJ, Tubbs RS. Hans Chiari (1851-1916). Childs Nerv Syst. 2008 Mar;24(3):407-9
- Pearce JM. Arnold chiari, or “Cruveilhier cleland Chiari” malformation. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2000 Jan;68(1):13.
the person behind the name